Internship (Environment Portfolio)
UNDP is the UN’s global development network, advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in 166 countries, working with them on their own solutions to global and national development challenges.
UNDP’s Environment Portfolio cluster works with the government agencies to carry out projects that deal with promoting environmental sustainability, renewable energy, climate resilience and managing risks posed by disasters.
The Programme supports the Government to meet their international obligations, such as abiding by three Rio conventions, and strengthening the policies and institutions that are in place to ensure environmental sustainability and disaster resilience. The Programme also helps promote partnerships, improve networks with stakeholders, and share knowledge on how best to tackle issues pertaining to the environment and disasters, and support efforts made to achieve sustainable and environmentally sensitive development. The cluster is implementing projects and programmes in above areas.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Intern will support the work of the Unit, and work under the direct supervision of the Quality Design Analyst in close consultation with project teams. The specific tasks are outlined below:
- Support the coordination of the environment portfolio implemented by and/or funded through UNDP.
- Facilitate the coordination of projects including organising meetings, workshops, field visits, and the recruitment of consultants.
- Coordinate and liaise with government officers, local universities, and school officials to implement activities related to the portfolio.
- Capture success stories and lessons learned for reporting purposes.
- Support the project team with administrative duties, including taking minutes and writing concept notes.
- Proactive (able to pro-actively undertake tasks that fall under TOR’s).
- Team Player.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Quick learner.
- Good computer skills.
- Polite and outgoing.
Required Skills and Experience
Applicants to the UNDP internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); in the field of Social Sciences; Natural Resources; Business Administration.
- Degree in Development Studies, Social Sciences, Natural Resources, Business Administration or any other related field;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills in English;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages;
- Experience working in cross-cultural environments an asset;
- Good inter-personal skills.