What PAH is about:
· Polish Humanitarian Action (PAH) is a non-governmental organization employing people who want to make the world a better place. For over 25 years, we have been providing relief in big and small emergencies worldwide alongside with running missions in several countries in crisis. Our interventions of both humanitarian and development character have been carried out in 49 countries so far. We concentrate on ensuring sustainable and stable development of regions suffering consequences of war and/or natural disasters. We possess long-standing expertise in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), but also implement projects in Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL), as well as Shelter, Nutrition and Education. For more information, please refer to www.pah.org.pl
PAH in South Sudan
· PAH has been working in South Sudan since 2006 as one of the first NGOs established in Jonglei State. We are a small team of committed individuals aiming at delivering tangible and sustainable change in the largest, most populous and most conflicted state of South Sudan. We are needs- and community based, hence aside drilling and repairing boreholes, developing accompanying O&M structures and innovative approaches to sanitation and hygiene promotion, we have also been developing our emergency response capacity. Our Emergency Response Team (ERT) mainly reacts to WASH and NFI needs of populations affected by conflicts and natural disasters, which have been on the increase for the past three years. Thanks to the expertise gathered over the years, we were also appointed to lead WASH Cluster in the state: we coordinate WASH emergency response with partners and hence make sure all vulnerable communities are served at the time of crisis.
Who is PAH looking for
Polish Humanitarian Action is looking for a Hygiene and Sanitation Officer for an anticipated project to be based Juba with frequent movement to the field
Key Objective of the post.
To lead hygiene promotion activities of the project to ensure improvement of hygiene practices of the targeted populations, through training of hygiene promoters, organizing hygiene promotion campaigns etc,
Scope of work
· Provision of hygiene promotion to vulnerable communities - conducting trainings, sessions, mass campaigns.
· Carrying out needs assessments – preparing adequate assessment documentation following guidance from the supervisor; using PAH templates.
· Training of community hygiene promoters on hygiene promotion – organizing sessions, preparing materials, keeping record of attendees; ensuring trainings are well balanced in terms of gender and age.
· Monitoring the work of community hygiene promoters - carrying out household visits and promotion campaigns
· Supervising community Hygiene promoters and managing their activities/provide guidance and necessary support when needed.
· Training of Stakeholders on the issues of hygiene and sanitation.
· Cooperation with local authorities and local communities
· Conducting frequent meetings with local authorities, schools and churches about the progress of the project.
· Facilitating appropriate community involvement in the design and delivery of essential WASH services and facilities – carrying out community mobilization activities, liaising with crucial stakeholders.
· Organization of clean up campaigns in schools, markets, water points and other places identified to be of high risk especially during emergencies or outbreaks.
· Running documentation and monitoring of interventions using PAH templates and procedures.
· Keeping proper records of field expenditures and reporting accordingly
· Writing comprehensive reports from conducted assessments, interventions and field visits.
· Arranging and sorting WASH IEC materials and ensure proper usage; developing new materials – liaising with other HSO, informing Project Coordinator about possible shortages.
· Providing support/carrying out WASH-NFI distributions – organizing distribution; providing stock count; informing community about the rules during distribution as well as proper usage of items; handing over items to community; keeping record of recipients.
· Work closely with other departments such Logistics, M&E finance etc. to cooperate and liaise in aspects of achieving the project goal
What PAH requires:
A committed hard working flexible team player whose interest is to serve vulnerable communities and make the world a better place.
· A minimum of Diploma or Degree in Social sciences, Public health, Education or community health is required.
· Minimum of at least 2 years with proven experience in WASH sector including experience in community mobilization, working with displaced people, returnees, disaster response etc.
· Minimum 2 years of experience in Humanitarian work in emergency context
· Experience in training community leaders, community leaders, local authorities and working with women groups and children.
· Ability to work in a dynamic team and in a multicultural environment
· Accuracy and attention to details
· Familiarity with common standards such as Sphere and common humanitarian standards etc.
· Good organization skills and flexibility in working with various groups and categories of people.
· Good working knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlook (MS Office) and email usage
· Very good knowledge of English language (spoken and written) with good level of Arabic.
· We value team work hence we are looking for a humble and understanding person with good relations and problem solving skills.
· Good report writing skills, able to write comprehensive detailed interventions and project reports.
What PAH offers?
· A full time position with 3 months probationary Period with the possibility of extension based on funding and performance.
· Monthly salary calculated based on experience and qualifications.
· Welcoming, supportive and focused Organization’s culture,
· Covered insurance costs, both: life and medical.
How to apply:
Please send a covering letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the Specification along with your CV to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or submit your application to PAH Compound South Sudan Mission near Nile Fortune Hotel, Tomping, Juba - South Sudan.
§ This is a position based in Juba but with frequent movement to field locations. Applicants must be willing to adhere to the nature of operations and field context.
§ Ensure to register on submitting your application(s), We appreciate your application; however, only short listed candidates will be contacted. If you have not been contacted within the closing date, we regret that your application has been unsuccessful.
Please note also that this position is open for South Sudanese Nationals only and as it is urgent, applicants may be short-listed and interviewed prior to the closing date.