Head of Communications
The Global Resilience Partnership (GRP) is seeking a Head of Communications to help build a fresh, engaging and purpose-driven brand that generates collaborative action for resilience-building in some of the most vulnerable parts of the world.
The Global Resilience Partnership (GRP) is an independent partnership of public and private organisations joining forces to work towards a sustainable and prosperous future for all. Focusing on the most vulnerable people and places, GRP believes that resilience-building underpins the achievement of sustainable development in a rapidly changing world. The Secretariat for the GRP is based at Stockholm Resilience Centre at the Stockholm University.
The Head of Communications will provide leadership on all aspects of the GRP brand and communications and provide key strategic input to the GRP management team. The successful candidate will lead the development of a fresh, engaging and inclusive GRP brand that attracts partners to work together in a focused and purpose-driven manner towards building the resilience of vulnerable communities in the face of major global challenges. She or he will also champion the use of strategic communications to influence overall thought leadership as well as key policies and practices related resilience and development.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the overall implementation of both internal and external communications, enhancing our digital engagement and media strategies and communicating the perspective of GRP to a larger audience. They will develop and deliver an annual communications strategy supporting GRP’s key priorities. The successful candidate will input to the planning of global meetings and events, ensuring effective messaging, branding and identifying innovative approaches to foster stakeholder collaboration.
The Head of Communications will manage a small team, working mainly through external consultants and agencies, and will collaborate with partners working on resilience policies, practice and innovations across scales and geographies. Based in the secretariat office hosted by the Stockholm Resilience Centre (SRC), the successful candidate will work closely with SRC’s communication team.
- Lead the development of a fresh, engaging and inclusive GRP brand that attracts partners to work together in a focused, purpose-driven manner towards building the resilience for vulnerable communities in the face of major global challenges.
- Lead the development and implementation of creative, high quality strategic communications, digital and media strategies that adhere to GRP values and further the Partnership’s objectives.
- Refine and develop consistent messaging for GRP leadership, secretariat team, partners and advocates across the partnership and across scales.
- Collaborate with colleagues, key partners, high-level champions, and other advocates, to ensure that GRP key messages are being effectively delivered to target audiences.
- Line-manage the communications team with a focus on professional development whilst building team capacity and talent to dovetail with the evolving requirements of GRP.
- Develop and execute an integrated annual communications strategy that inspires colleagues, partners and stakeholders to work together towards common goals.
- Enhance and develop GRP’s web presence, including social media management, website development, content creation and digital communications.
- Construct novel global partnerships in media, new media and social media in geographies specifically relevant to the objectives of GRP.
- Serve as a lead contact on proactive and reactive communications opportunities.
- Determine success metrics and monitor, analyze and report successes to internal audiences, senior management, and external partners.
- Develop and execute innovative strategies for key global policy events and deliver effective media outreach and communications activations at this events.
- Contribute to the broader strategic, policy and programmatic work of GRP.
- Oversee the drafting, editing, production and distribution of communications materials such as web content, press releases, policy papers, briefing notes, publications, annual reports etc.
- Draft OpEds, speeches, presentations and other high-impact materials for GRP leadership, high-level partners and country representatives.
- Commission, appoint and oversee communications consultants and contractors for the production of print and online materials - including editors, writers, designers, photographers, video journalists and tech suppliers.
- Oversee and contribute to digital content generation (video, web, social media, podcasts) and implementation across all GRP platforms.
- Overall budgetary responsibility for all communication activities.
- Individual with compelling track record of dealing with brand-building, communications, stories and complex organizations in an interconnected, political environment with multiple stakeholders and delivery partners.
- Analytical and strategic thinking skills combined with practical delivery expertise for both planning and delivery.
- Personable, collaborative and able to communicate with a range of individuals from different cultural contexts with a respectful and inclusive attitude
Communications skills & experience
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in science communications, journalism, PR or equivalent, preferably with a focus on sustainable development, or extensive proven experience working with sustainable development communications.
- Demonstrated ability to create, develop and deliver effective communications strategies on global social and environmental issues that align with and further the organizational strategic goals.
- Expertise in creating traditional media content, analogue and digital content.
- Proven experience of working effectively with media contacts worldwide on global social issues.
- Experience in working with and amplifying the voices of a wide range of stakeholders, including grassroots activists and high-profile stakeholders.
- Excellent writing skills, including a demonstrated ability to write engaging, clear and concise copy for various audiences.
- A keen eye for accuracy and detail.
- Excellent written and spoken English; spoken fluency in other languages would be an advantage.
Management and interpersonal qualities
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to empower teams and colleagues to deliver high quality communications using traditional and new media platforms.
- Strong management and project management skills including management of external consultants and management of partnerships.
- Ability to prepare and manage budgets and contracts related to the communications team’s work.
- Proven ability to work across diverse research disciplines, cultures and geographies.
- Ability to work with sensitivity and diplomacy with a range of stakeholders, including people living in vulnerable situations or insecurity.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, meet tight deadlines and juggle multiple priorities.
- Interest in development issues and/or knowledge of resilience-building policy and practices.
- Willingness to travel regionally and internationally when necessary (up to four international trips per year).
Terms of employment
This is a full-time, indefinite-term position with a six-month trial period. Salaries at Stockholm University are determined individually; therefore, please indicate your requested salary. Start date immediately.
Stockholm University strives to be a workplace free from discrimination and with equal opportunities for all.
Further information about the position can be obtained from Administrative Coordinator, Hanna Ellström, telephone: +46 8 674 71 26, email@example.com.
Ingrid Lander (Saco-S), telephone: +46 708 16 26 64, firstname.lastname@example.org, Lisbeth Häggberg (Fackförbundet ST and Lärarförbundet), telephone: +46 8 16 20 00 (operator), and email@example.com (SEKO).