JACOBS is one of the world’s largest and most diverse providers of technical and management services. We offer a full-spectrum of consultancy support to commercial, government and industrial clients across many sectors. It is a leading service provider in planning and environmental consultancy and advice, supporting projects at all stages from initial conception through to construction and maintenance, across the UK and internationally.
At Jacobs we provide the resources to turn great ideas into reality, and we’re looking for the most talented and passionate individuals out there to be our next generation of leaders.
Our Environment, Maritime & Resilience business provides a focus for advising our clients on sustainability issues including renewable energy, low carbon economies, impacts of climate change and waste and resource management. Our environmental capabilities comprise of in excess of 1000 staff based predominantly in the UK, but with reach into the Middle East and in India.
To meet our growing UK business needs and future development aspirations we currently have an opportunity for an experienced Hydrologist within our Water Environment team based in Glasgow to work on projects requiring flood hydrology (for flood mapping studies, surface water management plans, flood strategies and other flood management projects), water resource appraisals, as well as Environmental Impact Assessments. The successful person will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
As part of the Water Environment Team, you will be part of a national hydrology discipline working on projects for Local Authorities, the Environment Agency, the utilities sector and for some private sector clients, and will be involved in supporting some of the most significant and high profile infrastructure projects in the UK and beyond
Applications are welcomed from candidates who are seeking reduced hours contracts and those returning from a career break. We offer flexible working patterns and will discuss these options and the support available with candidates at interview.
- Providing hydrological input (across the full range of hydrological parameters) to support our project activities across a range of sectors, including flood risk management, environmental impact assessment and water resources.
- Support of a company-wide expertise in hydrology for fluvial, coastal and urban applications.
- Supervising and assisting junior and graduate hydrologists within the Water Environment team of the Jacobs Glasgow office, as well as others across the UK.
- Writing and reviewing technical reports
- Assisting the project management of hydrological and related studies, ensuring delivery on time and within budget.
- A minimum of a good honours degree in a relevant subject.
- Hydrological experience
- Enthusiastic about solving problems
- Prepared to innovate, finding new and improved ways to contribute to project excellence
- Passionate about customer care
- Keen to expand your technical capabilities and apply your skills across different sectors
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft packages including Word and Excel.
- Proficiency in using GIS software such as MapInfo/ArcGIS/QGIS.
- Knowledge and practice of applying the techniques described within the Flood Estimation Handbook (use of the following software: WinFAP FEH, FEH Web-Service, and ReFH2)
- Interest in applying the latest flood estimation techniques for river, urban and coastal flooding applications
- Numerical and numerical modelling aptitude
- Knowledge of the techniques described within the Flood Estimation Handbook and for calculating low flows.
- Excellent communication skills.
- The ability to work as part of a large multi-disciplinary team, as well as being willing to work individually.
- You will need to be a team player willing to work away from your base office, with a high level of personal responsibility and adaptable and flexible approach to different project requirements
- A master’s degree or doctorate in hydrology.
- Secondary area of skill or interest in water environment sector such as: flood risk management, geomorphology or environmental engineering.
- Interest in some of the following areas: hydrological input into water resources studies, hydraulic modelling for flood risk assessment and management, urban drainage, flood risk management techniques and methods including option appraisals.
- Experience of hydrological analysis for water resources studies
- Experience of hydraulic modelling for flood risk assessment and management
- Experience of surface water management applying SuDS principles
- Experience of analysis of culverts using CIRIA methods
- Advanced analytical skills in Excel, or experience of R-software or similar
- UK driving licence
- Member of CIWEM / ICE and be working towards Chartership
At Jacobs, we help prepare people for new opportunities and challenges. With positions at every level, openings in multiple disciplines, expertise in a range of markets and offices around the globe, we create an environment where you can learn, grow, and thrive. From our competitive benefits program to our Health and Safety initiative of Beyond Zero workplace injuries, we believe that you’ll find a flourishing career here at Jacobs.
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.