Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining water, energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
The Water and Environment practice of Ricardo Energy & Environment, offers a comprehensive range of specialist services within the environmental consultancy sector. Nationally and internationally recognised for our expertise in planning and overseeing complex and sensitive projects, our skills have been utilised by a wide range of clients within the public and private sectors including the European Commission, government, water companies and developers.
Much of our work in the Water and Environment sector requires the skills of a hydrologist to help us understand the impact of flows on ecology, on water quality and sediment (transport and deposition) for water resource planning and supporting new development. As such much of the work is around assessing the effect of normal and low flows particularly for drought planning. Additionally, however, our work covers wider infrastructure projects (for developers and airports) through to habitat restoration work where understanding the impacts of construction impacts on the flood envelope for example, is necessary. Ricardo are also appointed by Local Authorities to provide expert reviews of Environmental Statement Water Resource chapters.
We are currently therefore looking for a numerate, willing to learn, primarily surface water hydrologist with the skills to assess and predict a range of hydrological conditions and, ideally, can demonstrate the ability interpret and run hydraulic models. Experience in Environmental Impact Assessment and Flood Risk Assessment would also be an advantage.
The successful candidate will be part of our water team but will need to work closely with our environmental impact assessment and ecology colleagues. There is also the opportunity to work with other parts of our business with the aim of helping to develop a portfolio of projects where hydrological expertise is seen as an important element.
You will input into a range of environmental assessments where understanding that hydrology has an impact on habitats and flood/drought management. You will need to be able to work effectively with water companies, developers, design engineers, contractors, planner and other regulators to help achieve positive outcomes of our projects. You will provide technical input into a wide range of projects.
Key competencies and experience:
- Bachelors (2.1 or above) and ideally a post graduate degree in a relevant subject, with a strong background in hydrology and its impact of the natural world.
- Proven industrial/consultancy experience
- Numerate and keen to analyze and interpret hydrological data to support environmental impact understanding
- Ability to undertake FRAs and Environmental Impact Assessment (Water resource Chapter).
- Understanding and knowledge of associated flood and drought policies and data sources especially EU and UK.
- Understanding of the UK Water Industry
- Demonstrable ability to write effectively
- Ability to interpret and explain data trends
- A full UK driver’s license
- Ability to run hydrological models and the understanding FEH/FSR outputs.
- Understand outputs/ability to run an Aquator model
- International experience over and above understanding of the UK water industry and planning markets
- Interest in modeling/interpreting results for river restoration design
- Consultancy experience
Skills and behaviours:
- Excellent team working skills
- Strong communication skills and a close attention to detail
- Enthusiastic, keen to learn and able to act quickly and flexible across projects
- Excellent report writing skills
- Ambitious, enthusiastic and self-motivated to thrive in this busy and demanding environment
- Strong IT skills commonly used software, e.g. Microsoft Office, internet, email
- Hydrological modelling skills
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.