Splash is an international charitable organization headquartered in Seattle, WA, founded in 2007. Our mission is simple: “We clean water for kids.” Small, young and growing, Splash is in a unique position to be groundbreaking in the global health and WASH sectors, able to try new approaches to address the needs of urban kids. In ten years, we have brought and continue to ensure safe drinking water to over 400,000 children in cities around the world.
Splash is pursuing funding to reach 100% of government schools in Addis Ababa with full WASH coverage by the end of 2023. We are seeking an experienced Project Director to lead this project.
Our core values guide everything we do including every hiring decision we make. They are: • People - People first. People second. People third. • Quality - Beautiful products that function and last. • Honesty - No drama, no surprises, no BS. • Joy - Kids at heart, seeing potential everywhere. • Mistakes - Make them, don’t repeat them.
The Project Director will lead local implementation of this project, a 5-year initiative to reach 100% of government schools in Addis Ababa with full WASH coverage. The Project Director will report to the US-based Program Director and will work in close collaboration with the Ethiopia Country Director.
The Project Director will assist in hiring and providing oversight to Splash International’s Ethiopia staff and will provide leadership oversight to ensure achievement of the program standards and quality expectations for the project. The Project Director must have extensive knowledge of international development in Ethiopia including local government regulations and relationships. S/he will provide guidance and direction to contractors and key staff regarding program design and quality standards.
The position requires strong leadership skills and ability to represent Splash externally in meetings with project donors, government officials, and WASH sector INGOs. The Project Director has the opportunity to break new ground in the nonprofit water sector by implementing Splash’s program at scale in Addis Ababa.
- Provide administrative, programmatic, and managerial oversight to all aspects of the project with a particular focus on program standards and quality
- Coordinate effective implementation of program activities, including workplan development and implementation to ensure that project is completed on time and within budget
- Manage budget and provide regular updates to Splash management on project expense forecast
- Manage and supervise local staff including technical experts and program partners
- Serve as primary in-country liaison for the key donor of this project
- Proactively identify and develop mitigation strategies for project risks and issues to ensure achievement of all milestones and deliverables
- In collaboration with Ethiopian Country Director, ensure that all staff understand Splash’s standards for the project, and maintain a shared sense of purpose around implementing the full scope of the project on time and within budget
- In collaboration with other senior Splash leaders, build a high performing team through hiring, management, oversight, and mentoring of project staff
Compensation & Benefits
Annual salary for this position will be established at time of hire, and will be reviewed at least annually.
Education, Experience, & Personal Characteristics
MA or MSc in a related field such as Public Health, Global Health, Education, International Development or Project Management is desired. Candidates possessing a BA/BS in these fields with considerable relevant experience will also be considered. Qualified candidates should also have at least 10 years of work experience, including 5-7 years in international development including experience managing implementation of a multi-year, multi-million $USD international development project. Experience related to the Education sector in Ethiopia is strongly preferred; WASH experience would be helpful but not required. Candidates should be fluent in Amharic and English (written and verbal) and highly proficient in Microsoft Office.
Desired Attributes Include
- You exhibit absolute integrity, honesty, openness and sound judgment
- You enjoy collaboration and have a genuine interest in learning from and developing others
- Innovative and creative: you constantly seek better ways to accomplish objectives
- You are an excellent communicator, with the ability to listen, communicate effectively, and build trust with a wide variety of internal and externals constituents
- You demonstrate excellent organizational skills, self-motivation, flexibility, and the ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, energetic, entrepreneurial environment
- Demonstrate excellent organizational skills, self-motivation, flexibility, and the ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, energetic, entrepreneurial environment
- You think critically and put a high value on offering and receiving constructive feedback and criticism
- You have a deep belief in and passion for Splash’s work and the children we serve