Global Environmental and Social Risk Management (Vice President)
J.P. Morgan’s Global Environmental & Social Risk Management (GESRM) team has a global mandate for reviewing transactions for environmental and social risk in a number of different lines of business across the firm. The team are primarily based in London and currently review all relevant transactions and clients globally.
The team’s primary mandate is to ensure transactions meet the firm’s Environmental and Social Risk Policy requirements, thereby also helping to safeguard the firm’s reputation. Financial products covered include equity and debt underwriting (including Green Bonds), loans and credit facilities and some M&A activity. Sector coverage includes mining and metals, oil and gas, agriculture, forestry & pulp and paper, power, heavy manufacturing, chemicals, shipping and large infrastructure.
The candidate will be responsible for assessing deals and leading strategic research initiatives with support from the rest of the team. The individual needs to be a self-starter, able to articulate his/her thoughts clearly and have excellent attention to detail. The individual will be interfacing with a variety of internal counterparts across the firm as well as with clients. The role may involve limited travel and is an excellent opportunity to gain exposure to a broad spectrum of industries across multiple asset classes and geographies.
- Assessing environmental and social risk in transactions
- Assessing the environmental and social risk profile and performance of clients
- Advising clients on environmental and social issues where relevant
- Providing training to staff on environmental and social risk
- Developing and driving research on a range of environmental and social issues and thematic topics that affect the firm’s clients e.g. human rights, climate change, supply chain issues etc.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- 8+ years of experience in a relevant environmental and social risk / sustainability role
- Deep understanding and working knowledge of environmental and social issues and operating practices across a range of sectors
- University degree in a relevant field (e.g. environmental studies, sustainability, geography, development economics, finance)
- Robust understanding of banking products and decision making processes
- Strong client and commercial focus
- Ability to convey information clearly, accurately and succinctly (both written and verbally)
- Working knowledge of the Equator Principles (and IFC Performance Standards) and other relevant banking and corporate sustainability initiatives
- Excellent analytical (proficient in Excel, large datasets and other third party sources such as Bloomberg) and interpersonal skills
- Ability to draft high quality presentations and documentation
- Fluency in another language (preferably Spanish or Mandarin)
About J.P. Morgan Chase & Co:
J.P. Morgan serves one of the largest client franchises in the world. Our clients include corporations, institutional investors, hedge funds, governments and affluent individuals in more than 100 countries. J.P. Morgan is part of JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM), a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.1 trillion. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, asset management, and private equity. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, JPMorgan Chase serves millions of clients and consumers under its JPMorgan and Chase, and WaMu brands.
J.P. Morgan offers an exceptional benefits program and a highly competitive compensation package. J.P. Morgan is an Equal Opportunity Employer