We are looking for a Program Manager for a potential 3-years opportunity in Akwa-Ibom and Cross River States.
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a non-profit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital, and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs, and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
The potential opportunity seeks to improve sustainable water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) service delivery and water resource management in Akwa-Ibom and Cross River states in the Cross River Basin in Nigeria. This goal will be achieved through enhancing watershed protection, expanding access to safe drinking water, enabling sustainable sanitation, and building the capacity of basin authorities, operators, and private sector partners to plan and manage water resources. The interventions will improve water quantity and quality, enable good hygiene practices, and enhance resilience.
Primary Purpose of Role
The WASH Project Manager will be responsible for the overall implementation of TechnoServe’s component- developing and enabling sustainable sanitation entrepreneurship models as well as increasing awareness and demand for sanitation products. The role holder will play a key role in engaging manufacturers and wholesalers of sanitation products, commercial and micro finance institutions, Toilet Business Owners (TBO), and planning a sanitation business accelerator program where seed grants will be awarded to successful businesses.
It should be understood that the tasks outlined below are the key responsibilities, but the employee will be expected to perform other tasks that are necessary within the context of the evolving needs of the project.
Project Inception Phase
- Review the baseline report along with project stakeholders to validate assumptions, learnings, etc. in the proposal.
- Support the HR and Admin teams in the recruitment of the project team and ensure they have all the required work tools.
- Develop a detailed workplan for TechnoServe’s expected activities over the life of the project in consultation with the project’s senior leadership and partners.
- Develop a comprehensive risk matrix which will be monitored and updated as new risks are identified.
- In collaboration with the Head of Admin and Finance, develop a procurement plan for the implementation phase based on the workplan.
- Work with the project team to ensure that all project targets are met using innovative approaches.
- Structure and monitor monthly project workplan to ensure timely implementation of the sanitation entrepreneurship accelerator program and related sanitation marketing activities.
- Drive close communication with donor representative and other project stakeholders.
- Draft and/or contribute to required donor reports in a timely manner.
- Engage constantly with all stakeholders in the larger sanitation hygiene value chain.
- Provide guidance to sanitation entrepreneurs around sustainable business models.
- Monitor project budget spending and ensure it is aligned with both donor and TechnoServe’s spend policies.
- Ensure that all procurement activities strictly follow established TechnoServe guidelines and policy.
- Lead on project closeout activities using the programs checklist.
- Work with the communication team to disseminate learnings, human interest stories and case studies.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
- Work closely with the regional MEL advisor to ensure high quality monitoring and evaluation through quality data collection and analysis.
- Ensure the provision of quality data on a timely basis for internal project management and external reporting purposes.
- Promote experience sharing and learning within the organization and among other stakeholders.
- Represent the project and organization at internal and external functions, as assigned.
Required skills and experience
- A Master’s degree in business, entrepreneurial development or related discipline.
- Demonstrate at least 5 years work experience in implementing WASH programs in Nigeria.
- Demonstrate understanding of the WASH entrepreneurial space in Nigeria and in particular focus states.
- Demonstrate capacity to lead and mentor a team.
- Previous experience in a marketing/sales role with a manufacturer of sanitation products is an added asset.
- Ability to engage and advise a broad range of stakeholders, including senior management of private sector companies, employers at all levels, donor representatives, and others.
- Ability to structure and manage complex tasks, including experience in work planning and activity budgeting.
- Excellent networking and relationship-building skills.
- Strong interpersonal and management skills, preferably with project/program management experience; PMP/Prince 2 is an asset.
- Strong writing skills and proven ability to develop excellent donor reports.
- Excellent communication skills in written and spoken English.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office package.
Application Deadline: 20th August 2021
We encourage all qualified individuals who share TechnoServe’s vision of improving the lives of others through proven business solutions to apply.
With our commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and affirmative action employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.
We are also proud of our commitment to protecting staff, partners, and beneficiaries from abuse and exploitation and thoroughly vet all final candidates through rigorous background and reference checks.
If you have a disability that affects your ability to use our online system to apply for a position at TechnoServe please contact the Human Resources at [email protected] or call +1 202 785 4515.