Lecturer in Geospatial Science
University of the Witwatersrand
Johannesburg, South Africa
Please note: this job post has expired! To the best of our knowledge, this job is no longer available and this page remains here for archival purposes only.
Duties and responsibilities
- Teach undergraduate and postgraduate courses in areas of geospatial analysis and modelling and contribute to teaching within the broad field of environmental systems and/or human-environment interactions
- Maintain an active research program leading to publication in peer-reviewed journals and other venues.
- Advise undergraduate and graduate students.
- Participate on department, school, and university committees as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications /Requirements (Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills)
- Ph.D. in Geography, Earth/Environmental sciences, GIS/RS, Geospatial Science, or computer science;
- Demonstrated research experience in geospatial science as evidenced by a record of publication and external funding.
- Demonstrated geospatial modelling skills with proven experience in GIS systems and remote sensing analysis. Preference will be given to applicants with experience linked to modelling within the water resources domain.
- Background and capability to teach R, IDL, Python or other programming language suitable for scientific computing
- Potential to teach effective upper-level courses related to GIS, RS and geospatial analysis.
- Potential for excellence in graduate instruction and mentoring.
- The candidate would be expected to be an accredited professional GIS practitioner with SAGC or to be in a position to seek accreditation in the near future