Job no: 543561
Contract type: Consultancy
Categories: WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene)
UNICEF is a UN organization mandated by the UN General Assembly to advocate for the protection of children’s rights, to help meet their basic needs and to expand their opportunities to reach their full potential. In Lao PDR, UNICEF is working with its partners to support the Government to realize children’s rights on survival, development, protection and participation.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, support
UNICEF in Vientiane, Lao PDR, is looking for an Individual Consultancy: Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) infrastructure construction management. The duration of this consultancy is 5 months. The Consultants will work in the field, at home and in the UNICEF Lao PDR Office as required by the work and directed by the UNICEF WASH Specialist.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
1. Review WASH Designs and Bills of QuantitiesThe Consultant will review water supply, toilet and handwashing facility designs and associated Bills of Quantities (BOQs) to ensure technical quality and alignment with national standards and good design principles. This will involve writing assessment reports, providing advice to Government counterparts and estimating costs.
Output: Relevant documents with technical inputs from consultant
2. Support Procurement Process
The Consultant will support UNICEF to prepare bidding documents for the procurement of construction contractor services for school and health care facility WASH infrastructure. The Consultant will also undertake technical reviews of the contractor bids. This will involve writing assessment reports and providing advice to UNICEF and Government counterparts.
Output: Relevant technical documents to support the procurement process and technical assessment reports of bids received
3. Support Construction Process
The Consultant will support the construction process through the development of work plans with:
- Staged construction plans for each contractor
- Key monitoring points for construction, including critical points for inspection
- Key milestones for each district
- Supervision monitoring at critical stages during the construction of representative school and health care facility WASH infrastructure to ensure conformance to design specifications and standards (using a checklist), and timely completion.
Additionally, the Consultant will identify challenges to the timely completion of high-quality WASH infrastructure and work with UNICEF, Government and the contractors to identify solutions to these challenges.
Output: Work plans for all construction in schools and health care facilities; Monitoring plan for the construction work including key milestones and critical monitoring points; Simple site monitoring reports for each site visited; Monthly monitoring summary reports identifying progress, challenges and responses; Construction completion report, summarizing the construction process, completed works, challenges encountered throughout the construction and recommendations for ongoing monitoring and future WASH construction processes.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
The candidate will have University Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering, Architecture or relevant technical area with 5 years relevant experience in construction monitoring. S/he must have knowledge of materials, methods, and the appropriate tools to construct WASH schemes and proven ability to identify potential problems and recommend appropriate solutions; s/he must be willing to travel and live in locations with difficult conditions; S/he must be fluent in both English and Lao Language with good verbal and writing skills in both languages; s/he should be adaptable and flexible in their working approach.
In addition, the consultant should:
- Have good initiative and ability to apply technical knowledge creatively to ensure conflicts and disputes are resolved between contractors and beneficiaries.
- Current knowledge of the latest developments and technology, in the field.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organization.
- Computer skills, including internet navigation and various office applications, including knowledge of AutoCAD and MIS/GIS applications.
Submission of applications
Interested candidates are kindly requested to apply and upload the following:
- Letter of Interest (cover letter)
- CV or Resume
- Performance evaluation reports or references of similar consultancy assignments (if available)
- Financial proposal: The financial proposal should include consultant fee and the cost of medical insurance covering Medical Evacuation for the assignment period. Travel to provinces for official work will be paid by UNICEF as per UNICEF rules and regulations.
The deadline for applications is 08/08/2021
A two-stage procedure shall be utilized in evaluating proposals, with evaluation of the technical proposal being completed prior to any price proposal being compared.
Applications shall therefore contain the following required documentation:
- Technical Proposal, including a cover letter, updated CV, and copies of 2 relevant evaluations performed earlier by the consultant.
- Financial Proposal: The financial proposal should only include consultant fee and the cost of medical insurance covering Medical Evacuation for the assignment period.
No financial information should be contained in the technical proposal.
a) Technical Qualification (max. 100 points) weight 70 %
- Relevant education/degree (30 points)
- Experience working in the education sector in Lao PDR (40 points)
- Fluency in both English and Lao languages (30 points)
b) Financial Proposal (max. 100 points) weight 30 %
The maximum number of points shall be allotted to the lowest Financial Proposal that is opened /evaluated and compared among those technical qualified candidates who have attained a minimum 70 points score in the technical evaluation. Other Financial Proposals will receive points in inverse proportion to the lowest price. 6
The Contract shall be awarded to the candidate obtaining the highest combined technical and financial scores, subject to the satisfactory result of the verification interview, if required.
The applicants should provide medical insurance covering medical evacuation for the whole duration of the assignment – as part of the financial proposal submission.
Please find attached the TOR here: WASH TOR for Hardware Consultant for VA.pdf
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
View our competency framework at here
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Advertised: 03 Aug 2021 SE Asia Standard Time
Deadline: 08 Aug 2021 SE Asia Standard Time