Rwanda nationals: National Technical Advisor (Environment and Climate Change)
Sustainable management of natural resources in Rwanda is necessary to increase economic benefits and advance social development. The Government of Rwanda has taken a number of policy and programme initiatives to ensure the country’s improved management of the environment and natural resources (ENR) sector for sustainable development. This includes the Government of Rwanda - UNDP/UN Environment supported Poverty Environment Action (PEA). PEA builds on the successful UNDP-UNEP Poverty Environment Initiative (PEI) in Rwanda that was first launched in December 2005 and led to significant improvement in the inclusion of environmental and natural resources (ENR) sustainability objectives in Rwanda’s Economic Development and Poverty Reduction Strategy (EDPRS) I and II, as well as the new National Strategy for Transformation (NST-1) for the period 2018-2024.
Rwanda has made important progress in poverty reduction, but there is a need to better link “ending poverty” as stated in the new National Strategy for Transformation (NST1) and the SDGs, with the sustainable use of the environment and natural resources. Polices and action plans to that effect are to some extent in place, and mainstreaming of
ENR into planning and budgeting has been to a large extent achieved with support from PEI and Rwanda Environmental Management Authority (REMA). However, there is a need for more effectively mainstreaming Poverty – Environment (P-E) linkages, in terms of investing in, budgeting, spending and assessing its effects into sectors and districts. This requires further capacity development for effective P-E mainstreaming at all levels, including use of appropriate tools.
The new PEA is scheduled to start in September 2018 and runs concurrently and supports the NST1. PEA Outcome is: “Increased and enhanced investments that deliver concrete and significant results in poverty reduction, environmental and natural resource sustainability and resilience building at national and district levels”. An important part of the work for PEA is to support the Government of Rwanda through Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning (MINECOFIN) in advancing and deepening the mainstreaming of Poverty – Environment elements in national and sector planning and budgeting especially during the implementation of new National Strategy for Transformation (NST1) and Sector Strategies Plans (SSPs), taking into account the SDGs. To fulfill this support, it is proposed to recruit a National Technical Advisor (NTA) to assist the Ministry of Finance and Economic planning (MINECOFIN) in achieving these objectives. The incumbent will be placed in the Budget Division working under the supervision of the Director General but will support mainstreaming of relevant Poverty – Environment elements in all divisions and business of MINECOFIN, especially Planning. The support will be mainly executed through developing of tools, training, identifying further elements of capacity building and support, and undertaking and supporting studies that will provide evidence for P-E mainstreaming.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Analysis, Advice and Support to the Government of Rwanda in mainstreaming environmental sustainability and climate change mitigation and adaptation into national and sector planning and budget processes.
- Coordination and Provision of technical and oversight support to the management of Rwanda Environment Management Authority- REMA and Environment and Natural Resources sector in Rwanda to effectively implement the national Green Growth Climate Resilient Strategy;
- Coordination the development and establishment of synergies and collaboration with relevant sector institutions and other initiatives and projects aiming to inform and influence environmental sustainability and climate change into national and sector planning and budget processes.
- Provide substantive technical advisory on tools to guide integration of environment and climate change in national, sectorial and district development strategy & plan;
- Assess the implementation of environment and climate change as cross-cutting area in the NST1, SSPs and DDSs
Analysis, advise and Support;
- Guide the environment and climate change mainstreaming into yearly budget processes through providing / revising appropriate tools and developing and conducting awareness and training activities.
- Review sector and districts plans and budget submissions to ensure that pro-poor environment and climate change considerations contained in plans have been included in the budgets;
- Develop / revise E&CC checklists for NST, Sector Strategic Plans (SSPs)
- Work closely with Ministry of Local Government (MINALOC) and Local Administrative Entitites Development Agency (LODA) to monitor effective implementation of green aspects in the District Development Strategies (DDS) in line with NST and SSP objectives;
- Operationalize and guide the implementation of the national Environment and Climate Change Mainstreaming Strategy;
- Assess the implementation of environment and climate change as Cross-cutting area in the NST1, SSPs and DDSs.
Coordination and Provision of technical and oversight support to the management.
- Effectively coordinate inter and intra sector planning and budgeting processes to ensure integration of environment and climate change considerations;
- Coordinate and lead the development of investment guidelines and other mechanisms that guide private sector investor to improve the inclusion of environmental and natural resources sustainability elements
- Ensure the inclusion of environment and climate change considerations into Budget Statement: Lead the development of the template to be filled by all budget agencies as commitment to integrate environment and climate change as required.
- Review and provide quality inputs on environment and climate change statements to be included in the Budget Call Circulars to be sent out by MINECOFIN to guide sectors and District on how to integrate environment and climate change into their plans
Coordination of the development and establishment of synergies and collaboration with relevant sector institutions and other initiatives and projects aiming to inform and influence environmental sustainability and climate change into national and sector planning and budget processes.
- Coordinate the mapping of Institutions and initiatives working on environment and climate change mainstreaming or that are relevant to provide environment and climate change mainstreaming;
- Actively participate in all relevant Sector Working Groups (SWGs) and Joint Sector Reviews (JSRs), and provide inputs and comments to the relevant reports and minutes;
- Draft briefings and/or guidance notes to enable effective inter and intra sectoral coordination by MINECOFIN;
- Coordinate the inclusion of PEA work in planning and budgeting process;
- Provide relevant inputs to the PEA reporting, including for Steering committee;
- Coordinate the production of comprehensive reports and briefs on E&CC mainstreaming implementation assessments.
Provision of substantive technical advisory on tools to guide integration of environment and climate change in national, sectorial and district development strategy & plan Develop / revision of tools for assessing the implementation of environment and climate change elements in NST and relevant SSPs and investment plans;
- Provide support and technical assistance to strategic sector on integration of environment and climate change;
- Provide technical support to sectors to document and share lessons learned and recommendations on P-E mainstreaming in national and sector planning and budgeting, including development of relevant policy briefs (at least 1 per year);
- Support MINECOFIN, REMA and Ministry of Environment (MoE) in preparing key documents to be used at high level for advocacy for strengthened mainstreaming of environment and climate change such as cabinet papers and briefs for development partners retreats;
Impact of results
- UNDP – UN Environment Poverty Environment Action Programme implemented
- Environment and climate change concerns mainstreamed in national and sector plans and implemented
- Public, private and donor allocations to environment and climate change increased
- National and local investments greened
- National Environment and Climate Change Mainstreaming Strategy implemented and assessed.
- Leadership skills,
- Strong interpersonal
- Ability to maintain effective work relationships in a multi- cultural environment;
- Promotion of the vision, mission and strategic goal of UNDP
- Strong technical knowledge in field of environment and Climate change;
- Proven practical knowledge of mainstreaming of environment and climate change into national strategy and sectoral strategies;
- Familiarity with UNDP and UN system and role of key institutions in the field of Poverty Reduction, environmental management, climate change and green growth.
- Knowledge of UNDP field level organization;
- Knowledge of programme framework;
- Knowledge in national and sectorial planning and budgeting,
- Ability to multi-task
- Attention to detail
- Takes initiative and calculated risks;
- Focuses on impact and results for client;
- Builds trust in interactions with others;
- Displays positive attitude;
- Takes decisions.
- Managing Relationships
- Builds strong client relationships;
- Builds strong relationships with partners;
- Communicates clearly and convincingly.
- Provides quality outputs in a timely manner;
- Analyses problems carefully and logically, leading to fact-based and practical recommendations;
- Supports development of clear programme strategy;
- Develops innovative solutions.
Building and Sharing Knowledge
- Shares knowledge and experience with colleagues;
- Actively builds deep knowledge in mainstreaming environment and climate change;
- Makes valuable practice contributions in green growth;
- Promotes knowledge management
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s Degree in the field of development studies, economics/ environmental economics, natural resources and environment management, sustainability studies such as Maters in international and sustainable finance;
6 years’ work experience in the fields of integrating Environment and Natural Resources sustainability in poverty reduction strategies and budgets in developing countries;
Proven experience of 2 years in working with, and providing capacity building support to, public sector institutions institutions/ agencies responsible for planning and budgeting;
Experiences of 5 years undertaking poverty assessments and linking these with development planning
At least 2 years’ experience in integrating cross-cutting areas (environment and climate change, gender, HIV/AIDS, etc.) in national and/or sub national development planning, budgeting and/or monitoring systems;
Experience of 5 years in working with government institutions;
Having worked with UN or other development partners an advantage
English and Kinyarwanda
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.