U.S. citizens: Foreign Affairs Officer
This position is located in the Office of Environmental Quality and Transboundary Issues (EQT), Bureau of Oceans and International Environmental and Scientific Affairs (OES), within the Department of State. The EQT Office is responsible for developing, coordinating and advancing U.S. policy interests on a variety of environment related treaties, organizations and policies including those pertaining to trade and sustainable development, air pollution, chemicals and multilateral affairs.
Learn more about this agency
- Advises the Bureau on environmental impact assessments (EIAs) and related matters under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), as well as manages any third party contractors hired to conduct EIAs under NEPA.
- Leads and coordinates the Department of State's efforts to assess environmental impacts of projects as part of the process of consideration for presidential permits.
- Evaluates proposed projects and permit applications to determine if it is necessary to prepare an Environmental Assessment (EA) or Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) consistent with the NEPA.
- Prepares briefing materials, develops proposals, directs or reviews environmental impact assessments and evaluates the quality and completeness of submitted documentation.
- Leads working groups with other federal agencies involved in the development, coordination, and implementation of environmental assessment activities.