Job Title: Consultant Scientist
Salary: Competitive and Rewarding + Benefits
Hours: Standard Business
Reports to: Senior team member
Background Our people are the difference!
Who they are, what they do and how they do it is why we’re the award-winning, industry-leading, thriving boldly global environmental consultancy we are today. We’re APEM Ltd and we’re expanding.
As a people-first business we’re accountable for our aspirations, actions, and what we get because of them. We believe inspiration and insight come from everywhere, so no matter history or choices in life, we will empower you to be your best, so we can be our best, together.
If you’re driven, ready to guide governments, shape private client projects across the planet and improve the natural world, then we want the whole you.
The WOW factor
When home became work, we learned that flexibility, understanding and balance allowed us all to move forward and grow together.
So no matter where you’re based, the hours you keep, or the toddlers you have to entertain, we’re committed to our ways of working (WOW) with each other so we can continue to be our best.
About the role
APEM has a large and increasing portfolio of work in freshwater ecology, hydro-ecology, water quality, environmental management, invasive non-native species, natural capital and data analytics. Providing technical input to a wide range of projects, you will work as part of a team of aquatic scientists with cross-cutting expertise in the above areas. Typical projects are driven by the requirements of the Water Framework Directive and the Habitats Directive. Our clients include the UK environment and conservation agencies, the water and energy industries and infrastructure developers.
As these are rapidly developing fields, it is an opportunity to develop new areas of work and to engage with clients to ensure that we provide the best service possible for their needs.
There are two roles available: one focussing on water quality and one on hydro-ecology. Whilst is it preferred that candidates have 1-2 years relevant professional experience; we welcome applications from graduates with a relevant academic background and strong GIS and/or statistical skills. Please make it clear in your cover letter which role you are most interested in.
Key features of the Consultant role will be arranging freshwater ecological and water quality survey work throughout the UK with sampling and monitoring of lakes, ponds, canals and rivers; management and analysis of numerical datasets; and contribution to the production of high quality, technical reports. Working under the guidance of a technical lead, you will demonstrate initiative and attention to detail. You will be primarily office-based, although some fieldwork, site visits and client meetings will be required. Excellent opportunities for career progression and development.
Required skills across both roles:
- Qualified to at least BSc level
- Desk and/or field-based experience of some or all of the following technical areas: hydro-ecology; biological water quality assessment; environmental water resource management e.g. environmental components of water company Drought Plans and Water Resource Management Plans; water quality assessment and modelling; statistical analysis, data management and modelling of large and complex environmental data sets
- Excellent data management and analysis skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Driving licence
Water Quality role
We are currently working on numerous algal bloom, taste and odour, lake nutrient budgeting, lake restoration, catchment management, reservoir management, water quality impact assessments and modelling throughout the UK and Ireland. You will be knowledgeable in one of these areas with an understanding of the relevant legislation including the Water Framework Directive. You will be highly numerate, as well as being able to adapt to work of varying technical requirements including rivers, lakes, transitional and/or artificial waterbodies.
- Relevant academic background or industry experience
- Environmental water quality surveys and sampling;
- Knowledgeable on one of the following technical areas algal blooms, taste and odour, lake nutrient budgeting, lake restoration, catchment management, reservoir management and water quality impact assessments and modelling
- Relevant academic background or industry experience
- Freshwater environmental surveys and sampling
- Knowledge of one of the following technical areas: freshwater macroinvertebrates, macrophytes and/or phytobenthos, environmental assessment, Water Framework Directive assessment, catchment management, water abstraction investigations, statistical modelling.
- GIS and data management
- Statistical analysis and modelling of large and complex environmental data sets
- Natural capital
- Environmental water resource management e.g. environmental components of water company Drought Plans and Water Resource Management Plans
- Working towards relevant professional body accreditation such as CIWEM or CIEEM.
You will have experience in ecology, hydro-ecology and / or water resource management and an understanding of the relevant legislation including the Water Framework Directive. We specialise in assessing the impacts of changes in flow regime (including artificial impoundments, abstractions and discharges) on freshwater ecology. Projects often involve contributing to environmental assessments and may include field surveys, data analysis, modelling and reporting, as well as project management, management of sub-contractors and client liaison.
Desirable across both roles
- Ideally 1-2 years’ professional experience but we also welcome applications from graduates with a relevant academic background and strong GIS and/or statistical skills
You are an enthusiastic self-starter with a genuine interest in freshwater environments. You are qualified to a minimum of BSc. level in a relevant discipline, with evidence of experience relevant to the grade you are applying for. Whether you are an applicant with academic, regulatory, consultancy or third sector experience you will need to demonstrate your ability to apply your skills in a fast-paced commercial consultancy through project experience and dealing with people effectively and professionally. Suitable candidates will be able to demonstrate up-to-date knowledge of relevant UK legislation (e.g. Water Framework Directive, Habitats Directive, the Agriculture Bill and Defra’s 25 Year Environment Plan).
We recognise that everyone’s story is different.
The opportunities, experiences and challenges faced in life shape who we are today and we understand that these are the things that make us individual and unique. Embracing our differences means we’re able to approach what we do from every dimension. Inspiration and insight can come from anywhere, and no matter your history or choices in life, we empower our people to be their best, so we can be our best, together.
We welcome the whole you.