Regional Senior Water Governance Advisor (Asia Regional Platform)
The Asia Water Governance Program (2 multi-country projects SE and S Asia) aims to reduce poverty and the marginalization of vulnerable river basin communities and increase their inclusion in decision making through improved access to and control over the riverine water resources on which their livelihoods depend. The Senior Water Governance Advisor plays a key role in the development of Oxfam’s strategy relating to riverine water governance and energy programming. Currently the two transboundary projects are implemented in the Mekong, Salween and the Ganges-Brahmaputra-Meghna (GBM) basins (India, Bangladesh and Nepal) and we plan to further expand the program.
The Advisor will provide support to Oxfam team and partners to ensure technically sound engagement and policy positions and that we proactively seize business development opportunities and network with key external stakeholders (governments, banks, academia and private sector) to influence the inclusion of civil society, particularly women and youth. The Advisor will oversee cross-agency learning to draw on research, improve our practice (Oxfam and partners) and influence the work of others
The successful applicant will have
- A high level of contextually focused technical expertise in areas of riverine water governance to ensure high quality, consistent programs that are relevant to affected communities
- A commitment to keep well informed on specific science and research being conducted, to commission research to enable Oxfam to have evidence- based positions for influencing and an ability to provide information and training on findings that is accessible to Oxfam’s team, partner networks and ultimately communities.
- An ability to coordinate/lead the technical aspects of implementation across the region and oversee cross-agency learning and linkages with e.g. land and energy to draw on research, improve practice and increase influence.
- An ability to represent Oxfam on technical aspects of water governance to affiliate governments, banks academia and international external advocacy targets, alliances and related for a
- Experience to play a leadership role in business development related to water governance with a focus on exploring innovative people/public/private partnerships to expand Oxfam’s work on water governance in the region (and potentially globally). This will require being able to engage with Trusts, corporates and environmental agencies.
- A willingness to be part of a networked team across the region and to travel extensively for up to two weeks at a time,
Fluency in English required and competence in French and/or Spanish is desirable.
Please see the job description for further details.