Job no: 543525
Contract type: Consultancy
Categories: WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene)
Purpose of Activity/Assignment:
While nearly 80% households of the city are currently dependent on on-site sanitation systems, fecal sludge from these facilities is very poorly managed. Uncoordinated, fragmented, overlapping and/or unclear responsibilities so far, have resulted in a lack of accountability and disagreements between institutions that eventually led to an ineffective and unacceptable FSM system.
However, the Government of Bangladesh has recently (2017) approved the Institutional and Regulatory Framework (IRF) to facilitate FSM service delivery in Dhaka city aligned with SDG target 6.2. The IRF-FSM has identified ways and means of implementing FSM services and clearly defined the roles and responsibilities of DWASA, DNCC and DSCC in accelerating progress of citywide inclusive sanitation services considering development of both sewerage (network ) system and FSM associated with onsite (non-network) sanitation.
It is now time for DNCC to develop its own action framework for providing fully functional chain of sanitation services to its citizens. This would require a detail assessment of the scale of the problems, consultation and engagement of public, private sector, users and civil society organizations to ensure appropriate infrastructure and services that can be systematically developed and adapted to respond to the various contextual challenges.
The Purpose of this assignment to provide technical assistance to Dhaka North City Corporation (DNCC) to develop “DNCC Action Framework for Safely Managed On-Site Sanitation” and guide DNCC to initiate execution of developed Action Framework for safely managed on-site sanitation.
It is expected that the consultant will lead a team of technical experts engaged in conducting current sanitation situation analysis, city sanitation delivery assessment, feasibility of different technological & intervention options and developing guidelines for private sector engagement, and in the process develop the DNCC Action Framework for Safely Managed On-Site Sanitation.
Work Assignment Overview:
|i. Develop Concept Note of “DNCC Action Framework for Safely Managed On-Site Sanitation”||DNCC & UNICEF Approved Concept Note of “DNCC Action Framework for Safely Managed On-Site Sanitation”||10|
|ii. Conduct a workshop on “detail city sanitation service delivery assessment within the boundary of DNCC focusing on enabling, developing and sustaining aspects”||DNCC City Sanitation Delivery Assessment Report||11|
|iii. Assessment and feasibility reports of technological and intervention options for varying contexts in DNCC||Feasibility Report on DNCC on-site Sanitation options||15|
|iv. Develop PPP Guideline for possible private sector engagement||Approved DNCC on-site sanitation PPP Guideline||15|
|v. Execution Plan of “DNCC Action Framework for Safely Managed On-Site Sanitation”||Executable Action Plan of “DNCC Action Framework for Safely Managed On-Site Sanitation”||15|
Minimum Qualifications/Knowledge/Expertise/Skills required:
- Masters/Advanced university degree, preferable PhD in one of the following areas: Civil Engineering or Public Health Engineering, Business Administration, or a field relevant to WASH related development assistance. At least 15 years’ experience in Academic Area with working experience with Government Ministry, UN Body and Bi-Lateral Organization
- At least 10 peer review journal publication at WASH related topics
- Well conversant with policies and strategies of the water supply and sanitation sector in Bangladesh.
- Extensive experience in organizing and leading advocacy notes/meetings/workshops/seminars.
- Familiarization with the policy environment of Bangladesh, the challenges within the WASH sector and the capacities of various stakeholders, would be considered an asset.
- Good interpersonal, leadership and management skills in implementing multi-party development projects.
- Well conversant with the development programme aspects of water supply and sanitation.
- Proven Negotiation and Interpersonal Communication Skills
- Good written and spoken English.
- Computer skills especially in word processing, spreadsheet and PowerPoint presentation is preferred.
Work Modality: Home based with occasional visit to DNCC, if required
Payment Terms: Payment will be made on completion of each deliverable and upon certification from Supervisor
Travel/DSA: Not applicable
Advertised: 01 Aug 2021 Bangladesh Standard Time
Deadline: 13 Aug 2021 Bangladesh Standard Time