Research Scientist in applied hydrological sciences
The Institute of Bio- and Geosciences – Agrosphere (IBG-3) conducts research to improve our understanding of biogeochemical and hydrological processes in terrestrial systems. Specific studies focus on environmental controls on biogeochemical cycling of elements, the analysis of exchange processes and nutrient dynamics in the soil-plant-atmosphere continuum. A combination of experiments, modelling and innovative observation technologies is used to bridge the gap between model, process and Management scale. Its research contributes to the sustainable and resource-conserving use of soils and water and to the quantification of the effect of climate and land use change on terrestrial ecosystems. We offer a competent and interdisciplinary working environment, as well as an excellent framework in the areas of experiments and modelling.
We are looking to recruit a Research Scientist in applied hydrological sciences
- Develop a workflow applying physically based and conceptual hydrological models that are continuously merged with precipitation ensembles and hydrologic observations
- Generate large ensembles for probabilistic discharge nowcasting
- Improve the data assimilation methods and work towards a quasi-operational forecasting system
- Develop a methodology for evaluating the quality of precipitation products to be used in flood forecasting
- Contribute to an international research team, publish in international journals and present results at international conferences
- University degree in either geosciences, computer science, physics, civil engineering or applied mathematics and a PhD degree in a related field
- Experience in hydrological modeling, data analysis and HPC
- Knowledge in data assimilation is a clear advantage
- Programming skills with Python, R, Fortran or C/C++
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in an international, interdisciplinary team across institutes
- Very good communication and organizational skills
- Good publication record
- Very good command of the English language
- Vibrant international and interdisciplinary work environment on an attractive research campus, ideally situated between the cities of Cologne, Düsseldorf, and Aachen
- An exceptional research infrastructure
- Attendance at national and international conferences and workshops
- Possibility for further scientific and technical training through international experts
- A comprehensive further training programme, including English language courses
- Flexible working hours and various opportunities to reconcile work and family life
- Full-time position with the option of slightly reduced working hours
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Civil Service (TVöD).
Forschungszentrum Jülich aims to employ more women in this area and therefore particularly welcomes applications from women.
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.