II. Organizational Context and Scope
Uganda is currently hosting more than 1 million refugees, the largest refugee population on the African continent. Seventy-three per cent of refugees in Uganda are from South Sudan and twenty percent are from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). The country has one of the world’s most progressive refugee protection policies and has been at the forefront of integrating development solutions to refugee crises. In Uganda, refugees are integrated with host communities and have the right to work and access public services alongside nationals. IOM Uganda has been providing humanitarian support to refugees in the water, hygiene and sanitation (WASH) sector since 2012. Interventions have included construction of sustainable water supply systems and sanitation facilities as well as community-led approaches to improve hygiene and sanitation. Currently, IOM is implementing WASH projects in Bidibidi (Yumbe District) and Palorinya (Moyo District) refugee settlements in West Nile region and Kyangwali (Hoima district) and Kyaka II (Kyegegwa district) refugee settlements in Southwestern Uganda.
Working under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission and in coordination with the IOM Global WASH Expert, the consultant will be the ad-interim WASH Programme Manager responsible for the overview of the implementation status and overall management of the portfolio of WASH programmes and projects of IOM in Uganda. The consultant will consequently be required to ensure a smooth transition of the portfolio to the incoming WASH Programme Manager as per the responsibilities and accountabilities indicated below.
III. Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Evaluate the overall implementation status of the WASH programme with particular attention to donor requirements and IOM rules and regulations in terms of the quality, budget, expected results and timelines and provide recommendations for the timely and successful completion of all projects in consultation with the Global WASH Expert.
- Ensure adequate supervision of the technical components of the WASH Programme and the different projects activities, following closely the donors’ requirements.
- Manage and monitor technically and administratively the whole of the WASH programme team including implementing partners, ensuring quality and transparent implementation and identify areas where capacity building is required.
- Prepare and or review technical specifications, Bills of Quantities (BOQs), drawings of the WASH infrastructure planned to be implemented as necessary to guarantee quality of the output and alignment to international and national standards and donor requirements.
- Oversee all procurement efforts for supplies and services, ensuring that the processes are transparent and in line with IOM and donor’s regulations. Provide the necessary resources to effectively monitor all contractual agreements with service providers and / or implementing parties.
- Ensure effective and active communication with all the relevant stakeholders, internal and external to IOM WASH Programme, and that any needed agreement or authorization from the local authorities is convened to guarantee project stability and good relations with the local government.
- Ensure effective and strategic liaison with donors at local and regional levels to ensure a good relationship aimed to strengthen the WASH program in Uganda.
- Ensure that the WASH program is driven by a sound Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning framework that leads to continuous improvement and fine-tunning of systems and processes.
- Ensure cross-cutting issues are integrated in the WASH programming such as GBV, AAP and other protection related mainstreaming.
- Proactively identify program development opportunities in Uganda, new funding sources, new thematic areas of technical intervention and strategic partnerships that would promote the expansion of the IOM WASH and / or emergency portfolio. Provide technical leadership in preparation and submission of WASH programme/project proposals.
- Prepare and submit regular progress reports to the Chief of Mission and ensure that all the project data and information is archived and shared appropriately. Guarantee that a regular and systematic flow of information is transmitted to the WASH Sector, UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and other WASH agencies in accordance with the established reporting requirements
- Ensure a smooth transition of the WASH portfolio to the Programme Manager at the end of the consultancy period by preparing a comprehensive report on the implementation status, challenges, overall gaps (i.e. in staffing, capacities, procedures, logistics) and a workplan to ensure the timely completion of the activities and achievement of project results.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
IV. Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Civil Engineering, Water Engineering, Engineering, Public Health or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Excellent Monitoring and Evaluation Skills; Organizational Skills; Accuracy; Ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Experience managing WASH projects in an emergency setting;
- Supervision of WASH infrastructure;
- Skills and knowledge on the planning, design, execution and supervision of piped water systems is essential;
- Proven track record of working with government officials, UN agencies, NGO and communities in the execution of WASH projects;
- Familiarity with the analysis of sectoral policies and budgets;
- Experience liaising with donors, government officials and other stakeholders and a proven track record of resource mobilization;
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports;
- Knowledge and experience working with IOM’s administrative procedures a distinct advantage
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter