Title: Senior Project Manager, Environment Hub
Job Location: Chennai
No.of Position: 1
Exp: 7 to 8 years of management experience in development or related fields
Education: Master’s Degree in Economics, Environmental Studies, Development, Journalism (with a relevant subject matter focus) or other relevant degree.
Salary: As per Institution standard
Krea University’s research vision envisages the establishment of four broad research hubs focusing on (a) human and artificial intelligence (b) sapiens and society (c) capital and markets, and (d) environment and society, each of which will house multiple centers and initiatives.
The Environment Hub at Krea will initially focus on three key areas: (1) peri-urban resilience, (2) forest ecosystems, and (3) water sustainability. The Hub will encompass two broad modes of work and impact: a) creative projects that seek to shift social narratives around the environment and our species’ role in ecosystems, and b) action research and implementation projects.
We are seeking a Senior Project Manager for the creative workstream. The initial project will be a film on “The Story of Water” that seeks to change the narrative around water and human entanglement with the water system. The position will entail bringing sound project management experience to help in the planning and implementation of the film project over a 12 to 18-month period as well as the broader efforts to establish the creative stream of projects in the Environment Hub.
The Senior Project Manager (SPM) will be responsible for taking a lead role in managing activities leading up to the film production, including:
- Support the steering committee in shaping the project deliverables and timelines by facilitating steering committee meetings, consultations with advisory members, and tracking progress at regular intervals throughout the project.
- Contribute to discrete research projects related to developing the story board, including through desk research, qualitative interviews, fact-checking, consultation with expert advisors, and similar activities.
- Manage discrete contract research projects related to developing the story board and script
- Support the film director in fact-checking and developing the detailed film plan, including managing stakeholders in government, civil society, private sector, etc.
- Manage reporting to film stakeholders – funders, Krea team, participants.
The next project will be a series of research-grounded dialogues on environment and society that are designed to develop the Krea research agenda, curriculum on environment, and network of potential faculty and collaborators. Subsequent projects will be driven by faculty and partner interests and the SPM will have the opportunity to shape this longer-term workplan.
For this part of the role, the SPM will be expected to work with the environment hub leadership to identify and recruit participants in the dialogues, develop background reading lists and research-based notes for the dialogues, and manage the documentation and dissemination of the results from the dialogues.
The SPM will have excellent writing and communication skills, good sectoral understanding and a creative and problem-solving outlook. A background in journalism, particularly investigative journalism is ideal. The role requires a person with strong project management skills – people management, process rigor, and documentation.
Background and Qualifications
- 7 to 8 years of management experience in development or related fields.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain an organized and structured work style in a fast-paced environment
- Proven ability to handle several different projects/tasks at one time, successfully complete tasks assigned, and meet deadlines.
- Experience with grant writing and budget management
- Previous experience of managing a team
- Ability to present and negotiate with senior members and proven experience in managing high level partnerships.
Key Competencies / Attributes
- Independent worker; takes initiative to lead and manage multiple tasks and propose solutions with minimal supervision.
- Attention to detail and advanced writing and presentation skills for communicating with multiple partners. This requires clear, precise, non-technical writing, and creativity in presentation.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and willingness to interact with a wide range of individuals ranging from the broader environment ecosystem (NGOs, policy, private sector, etc.).
- The ability to work in a multicultural environment
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- Knowledge of an Indian language
- South Asia regional experience
- Understanding of social science research standards for evidence and documentation
- Experience of working with governments and civil society
- Strong understanding of environment and related issues
Interested candidates mail us at: [email protected]