- Shape & lead Indigenous research of the Murray Darling Basin
- Enhance CSIRO’s Indigenous Science Program with your collaboration and engagement skills
- Flexible work arrangements! Mix of home and office
The role of Research Consulting staff is to initiate, develop, lead, and promote CSIRO’s research capability for the benefit of Australia’s economy, community, and environment through strategic partnerships with industry. Their primary responsibility is the management and leadership of research, client relationships, staff, and other resources.
The Murray Darling Basin (MDB) Indigenous Research Consultant is responsible for enhancing CSIRO Land & Water’s leadership in Indigenous-led, co-developed and Indigenous science, as well as growing opportunities for the Business Unit to support key Indigenous partners focused on developing the Indigenous land and sea estate. The position will provide essential Indigenous understanding and strategic direction to the shaping and delivery of Land & Water’s research agenda in the Murray Darling Basin.
The Indigenous Research Consultant will coordinate the Business Unit’s vital contributions to the emerging CSIRO Indigenous Science Program and provide leadership to the Business Unit’s own strategic Indigenous Futures initiative. They will be the go-to person for Land & Water’s participation in the Indigenous Engagement Implementation Committee and collaboration with CSIRO’s Office of Indigenous Engagement.
This role is only open to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people. This is a great opportunity to be at the forefront of impactful research into strengthening Indigenous communities and we would not be able to achieve our goals without the critical perspectives of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.
Your duties will include:
- Provide essential Indigenous understanding and strategic direction to the shaping and delivery of Land & Water’s research agenda in the Murray Darling Basin.
- Work with other senior scientists and collaborators to lead the ongoing development of Land & Water’s strategic research directions for Indigenous-led, co-developed, and Indigenous science, including the strategic Indigenous Futures initiative.
- Facilitate the design and implementation of suitable Indigenous-led governance for Land & Water’s Indigenous science directions and Indigenous initiatives.
- Continue to strengthen and enhance Land & Water’s leadership in research supporting key Indigenous partners focused on developing opportunities from the Indigenous land and sea estate.
- Coordinate Land & Water’s influential leadership role in the development of the cross-CSIRO Indigenous Science Program and any future investment in this, in collaboration with CSIRO’s Office of Indigenous Engagement.
- Identify issues underpinning Land & Water’s capacity for appropriate and effective Indigenous engagement and work with Human Resources staff and the leadership team to progress pathways to address them.
- Develop and scale opportunities for research in Indigenous science across a cohesive portfolio of work driven by Indigenous priorities.
- Represent Land & Water’s Indigenous research internally and externally and build business opportunities and relationships with key partners.
Location: Canberra, ACT
Salary: AU$139k – AU$153k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- Confirmation that you are of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent and identify as an Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person.
- Are accepted as an Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person in the community in which you live or have lived.
- Relevant Doctor of Philosophy or equivalent practical experience in developing and promoting Indigenous scientific research agendas, within the context of the Murray-Darling Basin.
- Ability to lead operations, people and business activities across an organisation and coordinate complex stakeholder management, demonstrating strong engagement skills with Indigenous Australia, and strategic relationship management capability.
- Demonstrated leadership of a multi-disciplinary team and a track record in supporting the growth of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander staff.
- An understanding of the issues affecting Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people, with the ability to communicate sensitively and effectively.
- Experience in engagement with diverse government and industry clients; Indigenous corporate and community collaborations; Research culture leadership and change; working with Indigenous perspectives to reframe research agendas, and develop innovative, culturally-inclusive methods for pursuing broad research agendas.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
They will also be required to provide proof of Aboriginality and be able to provide a cultural reference.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia’s national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
12 August 2021, 11:00pm AEST