The Alberta WaterPortal Society is a charitable organization working closely with private, public, and other non-profit organizations, supported by industry and water experts. We collaborate with academics and professionals to support water focused research, projects, and innovation; providing an accessible, apolitical platform to share information via our website, the Alberta WaterPortal at www.albertawater.com.
Reporting to the Executive Director, this role has exciting opportunities to gain practical communications and leadership experience in a water-focused non-profit organization.
Term: This is a maternity leave coverage position with a term starting in August or early September through May 2023.
- Prepare or edit high quality written and visual content for the Alberta WaterPortal including project and proposal related information on water related topics.
- Edit existing web pages and help keep website content up to date.
- Participate in digital water news collation and distribution as well as postings on social media (Facebook, Twitter, and Google+).
- Participate in the development of online learning tools for various projects.
- Research and write grant applications for relevant funding opportunities across Alberta, Canada, and the globe.
- Participate effectively in meetings and contribute to the team through ideas, problem solving, and decision making skills.
- Support and job shadow the Executive Director to develop leadership skills.
- Other tasks as required.
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications.
- Experience with writing and editing for various audiences and platforms.
- Experience with website design and content management systems (e.g. WordPress)
- Knowledge and experience (personal or professional) using strategic social media.
- Strong experience with Microsoft Office Suite; particularly Word, SharePoint and PowerPoint.
- Previous experience with project management, including budgeting, a significant asset.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills and the confidence to interact with a variety of stakeholders.
- A keen interest in water issues and challenges.
- Exceptional eye for detail and consistency when writing and editing or producing graphic content.
- Ability to interpret and communicate potentially emotive and politically biased information objectively and diplomatically, based on audience requirements.
- Organized, reliable, and able to meet deadlines.
- Self-starter who is creative and curious to learn new things and have fun along the way.
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to a changing environment – every day is different!
The WaterPortal has applied for funding from ECO Canada to fill this position and the successful applicant will need to be or become a member of ECO Canada (membership is free).
Please email your resume and a cover letter to [email protected] addressed to the Alberta WaterPortal Team, sharing why you would like to work with us and the experience and personal attributes you would bring to the position. Submissions close August 6, 2021.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, but will only be contacting candidates selected for an interview.