GIZ, on behalf of the EU and the German Government, provides assistance to the Nile Basin Initiative (NBI) and transboundary water cooperation in the Nile Basin. The objective of the support is to enhance NBI’s contribution to consensus building and cooperation in water resources management and development between the Nile Basin’s riparian countries. The programme supports the basin process through the Nile Secretariat located in Entebbe, Uganda but also the NBI Centers in Kigali and Addis. The project will be implement through 8 action areas: (1) Confidence Building, (2) Collaborative water resources analysis, (3) Basin planning (4) Basin-wide, multi-sector investment programme, (5) Enabling policy framework for basin management / Nile Basin Sustainability Framework, (6) Dam cascade management, (7) Basin monitoring, and (8) Public and political consensus on cooperation through dialogue and media publicity.Your tasks
- Work with the Nile Basin Initative’s and member countries teams to implement the programmes activities in the action areas of the Basin Management Framework and the Basin Investment Programme
- Responsibility to achieve the objectives of the two action areas, to this end manage the project component – including steering of project activities, oversight of consultancies, progress monitoring reporting – in liasion with the Head of Project.
- work as an advisory team member to the NBI in designing and implementing the consultative processes with the countries and Regional Economic Communities (RECs) of the Nile Basin – in this function support the Management of NBI in the day to day implementation of the process including liasion and consultation process with member states.
- Master’s or higher degree in an area relevant to cooperation on transboundary waters and water resources management
- Many years of professional experience in transboundary water cooperation processes, basin management and planning processes, basin investment programming and interaction between River Basin Organisations/RECs as well as multilateral investment banks
- Extensive experience with designing and implementing country, REC and multilateral bank consultation processes
- Clear understanding of political processes that allows you to work successfully in a politically sensitive environment
- Well-developed skills as an advisor – with the capacity to take on and balance roles as a GIZ project component manager and member of NBI task team.
- Detailed understanding of the NBI process as well as experience and professional networks from working with the Nile cooperation process and riparian actors more broadly
- Excellent communication and negotiating skills in the English language
- In order to be able to effectively lead the member states consultation process, it is of advantage if you are a citizen of one of the NBI member states.
- Place of residence: Kampala
- Climate: sub-tropical
- Health care: good local medical facilities (hospitals, clinics andspecialist doctors)
- Shopping and other supplies: very good range of shops (almost European standard), many international restaurants
- Travel to location: regular flights to Entebbe international airport
- Schools and school fees: good international schools. The school fees are reimbursed according to the GIZ guidelines.
- Other: Kampala is a family-friendly location with a large international community and a wide range of leisure opportunities
In general, the security situation is calm. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. GIZ runs a professional security risk management system in the field of deployment. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment. We kindly ask you to inform yourself which forms of relationships are legally and socially accepted in the country of deployment.
At the site of operation, the particulate pollution occurs to be many time higher than the European acceptable limit. As part of the selection process and during the recruitment examination you will be informed of appropriate protective and behavioral measures.