UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, water, sanitation and hygiene
Since December 2016 the Government of Rwanda has started the use of new policies of Water supply and Sanitation and their implementation strategies that are in line with SDGs#6. In their implementation strategies it was recommended to develop different policies implementation tools including Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Management Information System (WASH MIS).
It is in the framework of overcoming the sector challenge related to the lack of updated and accurate data for WASH Sector and ensuring strengthened coordination, monitoring and evaluation of the sector that the Ministry of Infrastructure (MININFRA), in partnership with WASH partners/stakeholders, has committed to develop t WASH MIS. In this regard, the Ministry has recruited a consultancy firm to carry out the Consultancy services for WASH MIS development which is ongoing since 09th January 2018.
For proper management of the WASH MIS development and ensuring its hosting and operationalization, through Water and Sanitation Division, UNICEF – Rwanda agreed to support the Ministry of infrastructure by availing a National MIS Expert who will assist MININFRA WATSAN team to manage the WASH MIS under development and ensure its operationalization for a period of 1 year renewable.
The WASH MIS Expert will work under Water and Sanitation Division Coordination and supervision and will report to UNICEF through the Ministry of Infrastructure (host Ministry). The WASH MIS Expert will collaborate with other technical staff in charge of the daily management of WASH MIS development and operationalization. The Expert will conduct the daily follow up of the WASH MIS development and will ensure its hosting under the Ministry as well as its operationalization in the coming period.
How can you make a difference?
Objectives for the WASH MIS development
The Management Information System (MIS) for the Water and Sanitation Sector under development will facilitate tracking the sector performance, in terms of full coverage and sustainable access to WASH services through monitoring of the quality of services to the population. The WASH MIS will, based on Watsan M&E framework, incorporate data collected from the ground including achievement of all stakeholders in WATSAN Sector in order to have a comprehensive report of the interventions being implemented.
Reports generated by MIS will help decision makers to identify challenges and issues faced the Watsan Sector in order to take clear measures for the future planning; operations and Maintenance.
- Key responsibilities / tasks
Main Duties and Responsibilities for the WASH MIS Expert shall include but not limited to:
- Ensure that the WASH MIS development is smoothly done and completed through following activities:
- Daily follow up and manage the WASH MIS development consultancy services contract;
- To regular communicate with the consultant for the proper management of the contract;
- To analyse and assess deliverables provided by the consultant;
- To organize and prepare all required documents for the meeting with WASH stakeholders related to WASH MIS;
- To develop a clear roadmap of the development of the remaining components of WASH MIS development consultancy;
- To participate in organizing different SWG (Sector Working Group) meetings for the WASH MIS validation.
- Initiate and ensure the WASH MIS hosting through following activities:
- To elaborate a roadmap and strategy for WASH MIS hosting;
- To design WASH MIS hosting needs and propose sources of funds;
- To elaborate ToRs for procuring all necessaries including personnel, equipment and materials needed for WASH MIS hosting;
- To follow up the procurement process for WASH MIS hosting;
- To organize and present to the SWG all affairs related to the WASH MIS hosting;
- Initiate and ensure the WASH MIS Operationalization:
- To develop a comprehensive WASH sector M&E Framework as an umbrella for the WASH MIS and to guide its development;
- To organize and coordinate technical trainings related to the data availability from the ground;
- To organize and coordinate the validation of data collected by local authorities at district level for ensuring their ownership;
- To guide the interpretation and analysis of raw data and coordinate data entry into the system;
- To coordinate the generation of reports based on domesticated indicators;
- To participate in organizing SWG meetings for MIS validation
- To assist during the presentation of WASH MIS results to decision makers;
- To assist in the formulation of recommendations addressed to decision makers based on the WASH MIS results.
- To assist in the WASH MIS review by formulating new indicators and putting them into the system.
- Follow up the regular operation and maintenance of the WASH MIS software as highlighted in the contract of WASH MIS development.
The consultant will be based in MININFRA Water and Sanitation Division, and will be working under the guidance of the WATSAN Division Manager. The consultant will report to the UNICEF Chief of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, in collaboration with MININFRA through the WATSAN Division.
4. Qualifications and specialized knowledge/experience required
- Masters degree in Public Policy; Mathematic and statistics; ICT Engineering or relevant field;
- Professional work experience minimum 5 years in programme development and implementation including monitoring and evaluation of projects and programs;
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation, including development of frameworks and indicators
- Experience for the similar job will be an added advantage;
- Experience in the field of water supply and sanitation is desirable;
- Ability to cooperate with various stakeholders and motivate information exchange;
- Fluency in English and Kinyarwanda. Knowledge of French will be an added advantage;
- Strong analytical, interpersonal, communication and organisation skills;
- Strong coordination skills specifically with the ability to effectively coordinate among SWG members;
- Ability to build and maintain effective relationships with senior representatives of donor, INGO and Government structures and to represent the SWG at national or international level;
- Thorough understanding of rights-based approaches (equity & inclusion, gender and protection issues);
- Strong financial management and donor compliance issues;
- Experience in the design and use of monitoring and evaluation systems;
- Experience in working or managing a consortium model of working;
- Knowledge of the key tools used by donor agencies, such as logical frameworks, results chains, theories of change, results-based management and financial administration systems.
5. Evaluation Criteria:
The Technical Evaluation is weighted at 75% and 25 % for the Financial proposal (ie monthly rate).
6. Policy both parties should be aware of:
- Under the consultancy agreements, a month is defined as 21 working days, and fees are prorated accordingly. Consultants are not paid for weekends or public holidays.
- Consultants are not entitled to payment of overtime. All remunerations must be within the contract agreement.
- No contract may commence unless the contract is signed by both UNICEF and the consultant.
- The consultant will be required to sign the health statement for consultants / individual contractors prior to taking up the assignment.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Application not including a technical and Financial proposal will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Candidates who allied before should not send other application as the previous ones will be considered.