Itad is a leading consultancy providing technical expertise to international development programmes, projects and institutions. Our work covers a range of sectors, including Education, Health, Governance, Social Protection and Livelihoods, Climate Change and Private Sector Development. We specialise in Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) and our work ranges from designing MEL systems for multi-million Pound initiatives, to conducting long-term impact evaluations across the world.
Itad is a values-based company. We make a difference delivering technical excellence and innovation, contributing through collaboration and learning, gender equality and social inclusion and providing opportunities for personal development to staff. Itad offers the opportunity to work in a friendly, dynamic and stimulating environment.
Our Climate Change team provides MEL services to a range of clients, including the World Bank, the UK Government, the UN agencies and philanthropic foundations, across a range of regions. Our projects range from designing and leading complex MEL systems for multi-million pound initiatives, conducting strategic evaluations and advising programmes and organisations on how to respond to their findings, supporting innovation and learning within the sector, and conducting long-term, multi-country impact evaluations.
We are looking for a Senior Consultant / Consultant to join the Climate Change team and lead existing MEL work as well as pursue new opportunities, develop proposals and expand the team portfolio.
The role is based in our offices in Hove (East Sussex) with travel within the UK and internationally.
The Climate Change team is looking for a dynamic and motivated Senior Consultant / Consultant with strong leadership, and analytical skills. The Senior Consultant / Consultant will be leading the delivery of a key component of the flagship DFID Building Resilience and Adapting to Climate Extremes and Disasters (BRACED) programme within the Climate Change portfolio, as well as joining a busy team to help to maintain the high quality of existing contracts and support the team in seizing new opportunities for growth.
This is a technical role and proven experience of applying a range of evaluation and research designs and methods (qualitative and quantitative), as well as MEL thinking and practice is required.
The successful candidate will have consultancy experience and be able to quickly establish credible and strong working relationships with team members, clients, partners and stakeholders, leveraging existing networks where appropriate. In addition, the Senior Consultant / Consultant will have the ability to lead, manage and influence others. A clear understanding of commercial drivers and how they can influence both bidding and quality delivery is essential.
- Manage the high-quality delivery of the DFID BRACED Monitoring and Results Reporting component of the MEL portfolio (including the the Routes to Resilience synthesis) and a range of other technical assignments by working pro-actively with internal and external teams, including associate consultants and partner organisations
- Ensure partner organisations and individuals deliver to the standards expected by the client and Itad
- Ensure information and learning is captured and shared throughout assignment delivery to enable efficient and effective decision making
- Ensure that assignments are managed on time and to budget, and within agreed company financial frameworks
- Represent Itad at client meetings, workshops, external events and conferences to share results of our work and work with Itad’s Knowledge Hub to encourage uptake of lessons and knowledge by target audiences
- Identify and mitigate risks and challenges to the successful delivery of projects
- Work with the Climate Change Theme Lead to respond to current and emerging opportunities, trends and ideas within the Climate Change sector.
- Work with the Theme Lead to seek out and pursue new business opportunities and assess business leads identified by the Business Development & Marketing team to determine their commercial viability
- Work with the Business Development & Marketing team in the production of EOIs and Proposals, including identifying suitable external associates for project teams and consortia where appropriate
- Proactively develop and maintain a professional network with clients, partners, external associates and like-minded organisations, leveraging opportunities to build an external profile as a subject matter expert
Professional Expertise & Key Competencies
- Relevant Master’s degree or PhD in environmental science, social science, economics or development related disciplines
- Significant demonstrable sector specific experience working in low carbon development, climate finance, climate change adaptation, climate resilience, natural resource management or related fields
- Demonstrated MEL technical expertise and experience of evaluating climate change programmes and policies in developing countries is highly desirable
- Demonstrated experience in leading and managing the delivery of significant projects and contributing to international development assignments for an international client, in a consultancy role or as a staff member within a major aid agency or think-tank
- Demonstrated experience in business development, including directing, managing and contributing to bidding processes and proposal writing
- Effective management, communication and team working skills
- Technical expertise in qualitative or quantitative methodologies, data collection and analysis
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Proficiency in one or more other UN language is an advantage
The closing date for applications is Friday September 7th 2018 and interviews will take place shortly afterwards