- Salary: From £40,800 gross per annum
- Location: London
- Contract Type: Indefinite
- Hours: Full Time
- Closing Date: 2 August 2021
- First Interview Dates: 12/13th August 2021
About the role
The UK’s environmental law framework has changed following the UK’s departure from the EU. As UK Environment Lawyer you will help us to advocate for strong environmental protection across the UK.
In this role, you will cover a broad spectrum of work, including working on environmental policies, legislation and guidance; sustainable agriculture and freshwater quality. Additionally, you will have responsibilities related to some of the foundational aspects of properly functioning environmental protections and laws including topics such as the rule of law, access to justice and access to environmental information.
You will conduct legal analysis and advocacy to support the work of the team and the wider UK environmental community, including developing and supporting litigation strategies. You will also be working in close cooperation with the partnerships, coalitions and networks in which ClientEarth is active, as well as engaging with parliamentarians, government and other stakeholders.
Meet your Manager
In this role, you will be managed by Kyle Lischak, our new Head of UK. Kyle joins ClientEarth in August 2021, having been the Met Office’s Head of Legal Services for the past seven years. Prior to this, Kyle held senior positions in Natural England as well as a number of environmental law roles in the US.
- Carry out legal research and analysis; critically analyse laws, legislative proposals and policy proposals relating to the UK’s protection of the environment
- Coordinate with colleagues to develop and deliver ClientEarth’s strategy and programme of work relating to the future of UK environmental law and the environment sector
- Support ClientEarth in bringing strategic litigation or other enforcement strategies in the UK
- Represent the organisation in advocacy meetings with officials, government advisers, MPs and Peers
- Participate in working groups with partner organisations and coalitions
- Support efforts to raise public awareness about relevant issues
See the job description (below) for a full list of duties for this role.
- University Law degree or equivalent
- Current legal qualification in the UK (preferred) or another common law jurisdiction (desirable)
- Understanding of UK administrative processes, including judicial review and domestic legislative and parliamentary processes at Westminster and/or the devolved legislatures
- Familiarity with the framing and functioning of environmental law across the UK including in the devolved administrations
- Some knowledge of policy and regulation concerning subsidies, sustainable farming, and/or soil or freshwater management (desirable)
- An interest in, and understanding of, environmental issues, particularly freshwater quality and/or sustainable agriculture (desirable)
See the job description (below) for a full list of requirements for this role.
Have a question about this job? Please visit our Careers site for advice on applying, FAQs, and more.
Flexible working: Post-covid, we are giving our staff the choice to decide where they want to work for 80% of their month, with the other 20% of their month being office-based. See our Benefits page for more.
ClientEarth values diversity and inclusion and the benefits this brings. We aim to appoint the most suitable candidate at all times and welcome applications from people from all different backgrounds. We particularly encourage applications from black, Asian, and minority ethnic (BAME) candidates, as these groups are currently under-represented in our organisation.
Please note that ClientEarth is only able to employ those who have the pre-existing legal right to work in the UK.
ClientEarth is not a law firm and does not provide legal advice or legal services to third parties.Documents – Download the full job description and person specification