Instructions to Applicants: Click on the “Apply now” button. Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation. Upon completion of the first page, please hit “submit application” tab at the end of the page. Please ensure that CV or P11 and the Cover letter are combined in one file.
The following documents shall be required from the applicants:
Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
Managers may ask (ad hoc) for any other materials relevant to pre-assessing the relevance of their experience, such as reports, presentations, publications, campaigns or other materials.
• International mission travel may be required;
• The BSAFE course must be successfully completed prior to commencement of travel;
• The incumbent is responsible for obtaining any visas needed in connection with travel with the necessary support from UNDP and for ensuring they have vaccinations/inoculations when travelling to certain countries, as designated by the UN Medical Director;
• S/he is required to comply with the UN security directives set forth under https://dss.un.org/dssweb/
• The incumbent will be responsible for making his/her own mission travel arrangements in line with UNDP travel policies.
UNDP’s 2018-2021 Strategic Plan emphasizes the critical links between environmental sustainability, climate change mitigation and adaptation, and broader efforts to achieve the goals of the 2030 Agenda and Paris Agreement. As part of the Global Policy Network in the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support, UNDP’s Nature, Climate Change, and Energy (NCE) Team promotes and scales up integrated whole-of-governance approaches and nature-based solutions that reduce poverty and inequalities, strengthen livelihoods and inclusive growth, mitigate conflict, forced migration and displacement, and promote more resilient governance systems that advance linked peace and security agendas.
The NCE Team works with governments, civil society, and private sector partners to integrate natural capital, environment and climate concerns into national and sector planning and inclusive growth policies; support country obligations under Multilateral Environmental Agreements; and implement the UN’s largest portfolio of in-country programming on environment, climate change, and energy. This multi-billion dollar portfolio encompasses: Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services including forests; Sustainable Land Management and Desertification including food and commodity systems; Water and Ocean Governance including SIDS; Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation; Renewable and Modern Energy; Extractive Industries; Chemicals and Waste Management; Environmental Governance and Green/Circular Economy and SCP approaches. This work advances crosscutting themes on innovative finance, digital transformation, capacity development, human rights, gender equality, health, technology, and South-South learning. UNDP’s Nature, Climate and Energy practice spans 137 countries, with a portfolio directly benefiting 86 million people. Our support to Governments focusses on enabling an inclusive, resilient, green recovery by: building competency to accelerate access to sustainable energy and climate and nature-positive policies and finance; scaling capacity to ensure No One is Left Behind; catalyzing SDG and Paris-aligned investments (public and private); delivering client-focused solutions that respond to countries’ immediate, mid- and long-term recovery and socio-economic development priorities; and leveraging our on-the-ground presence and networks to unlock bottom-up solutions that deliver lasting impacts at country level.
In addition to UNDP’s bilateral partnerships on nature climate and energy, UNDP is an accredited multilateral implementing agency of the Green Climate Fund (GCF), the Multilateral Fund (MLF), and the Global Environment Facility (GEF) which includes the Global Environment Facility Trust Fund (GEF Trust Fund); the Nagoya Protocol Implementation Fund (NPIF); the Least Developed Countries Fund (LDCF); and the Special Climate Change Fund (SCCF). As part of UNDP’s partnership with these vertical funds, UNDP provides countries specialized integrated technical services for eligibility assessment, programme formulation, capacity development, policy advice, technical assistance, training and technology transfer, mobilization of co-financing, implementation oversight, results management and evaluation, performance-based payments and knowledge management services. The Nature, Climate and Energy Team focuses on managing the oversight of climate and environmental financial resources from global trust funds to catalyze and unlock other types of public and private financing for sustainable development. This includes oversight of the design as well as implementation phase of projects (together with Country Offices and Regional Bureaus), as well as portfolio level oversight and management.
NCE is organized into five substantive technical teams corresponding to the five areas of work above. Each area of work is led by a Principal (PTA) or Senior Technical Advisor (STA). One of the crosscutting themes being explored by NCE is sustainable fashion. Sourcing and production of textiles and garments, when unsustainable, pose threats to sustainable development and climate change ambitions. Integrated solutions could include climate-informed planning, sustainable land and water management, ecosystems-based adaptation, biodiversity and conservation, climate resilient livelihoods, sustainable value chains, small grants to support artisans, removing chemicals from production, energy efficiency/renewable energy, and international waters policy support (e.g. transboundary issues, relevant for rivers and ocean pollution). Given its scale, however, a sustainable fashion industry can be a significant contributor to SDGs. As the fashion industry is complex involving multiple ministries, of critical importance is bringing together various ministries, private sector, and other partners. To that end, close collaboration with UNDP’s Bureau of External Relations and Advocacy (BERA) will be needed to ensure different perspectives are captured in identifying and implementing integrated solutions.
As well as being a member of the climate change adaptation (CCA) team, , the Technical Specialist – Climate Change and Sustainable Fashion will coordinate across NCE technical teams under the guidance of the Climate Change Adaptation PTA and ExO/BERA to provide technical support to a global advocacy campaign, Making Sustainability a Fashion Statement, and the development of a related programme document with cross-sectoral and technically integrated solutions.
- The Technical Specialist – Climate Change and Sustainable Fashion will report to the CCA PTA under BPPS/ NCE, based in New York;
- The Technical Specialist – Climate Change and Sustainable Fashion will be given access to relevant information necessary for the execution of the tasks under this assignment;
- The Technical Specialist – Climate Change and Sustainable Fashion will be responsible for providing her/his own work station (i.e. laptop, internet, phone, scanner/printer, etc.) and must have access to reliable internet connection;
- Given the global consultations to be undertaken during this assignment, the Technical Specialist – Climate Change and Sustainable Fashion is expected to be reasonably be flexible with his/her availability for such consultations taking into consideration different time zones.
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of Work
The Technical Specialist – Climate Change and Sustainable Fashion is primarily responsible for providing high quality technical, policy, and programme development towards sustainable fashion and related communication and knowledge products, working with other UN agencies, governments and inter-governmental organizations, NGO’s, donors, the private sector and many others. Specific results are expected in the areas of:
Innovation, Strategic Leadership, Policy Dialogue and Advocacy:
- Contributing to a strategic understanding of, and engagement with, the substantive technical issues, institutions, and processes within the region, including establishing contact and developing strategic partnerships with other agencies, donors, NGO’s, the private sector, scientific institutions and the like;
- In close coordination with BERA, lead the implementation of the yearlong sustainable fashion campaign highlighting private sector efforts (e.g. climate-informed intersectoral planning, sustainable land/water management, energy efficiency, resilient value chains, removing toxic chemicals from production, etc.)
- Supporting the development of strategic UNDP policy position papers and internal briefing notes related to sustainable fashion;
- Facilitating related policy analysis and the development of technical tools and guidance;
- Maintain a trusted leadership role amongst the countries served and partners;
- Keeping the Regional Practice/Team Leader and other RTAs serving the same countries informed of trends and issues with respect to the substantive technical area;
- Keeping the Principal/Senior Technical Advisors informed of trends and issues in the countries served.
Programme Development/Resource Mobilization and management:
- Develop sustainable fashion programme document through consultative process with NCE technical teams, regional bureaus, government, and private sector experts;
- Supporting integrated programme and project identification and development, in consultation with technical teams, connecting NCE themes for sustainable fashion;
- Providing timely and quality information and technical advice on sources of funds, policies, priorities and activities;
- Develop internal and external briefs on sustainable fashion, highlighting UNDP’s value addition towards sustainability in support of government and private sector sustainability ambitions;
- Identifying and suggesting to the PTA/STA priorities and entry-points for UNDP assistance;
- Facilitating the process of preparation, design, submission and approval of climate related programme/project concepts and full-fledged proposals for financing;
- Support CCA/NCE teams in supervising climate related portfolio of projects providing implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and capacity development support;
- Build networks and support for joint-UN activities through the UN Fashion Alliance and other forums;
- Build partnerships with relevant private sector actors in the fashion industry;
- Liaising with potential financing agencies and institutions.
Learning, Knowledge Management and Self Development:
- Evaluating, capturing, codifying, synthesizing lessons and stimulating the uptake of best practices and knowledge, including the development of knowledge materials;
- Peer reviewing, commenting on, and seeking to improve the technical quality of programmes/projects, policies, practices, guidelines, advisory notes, publications and the like;
- Preparing and delivering training material;
- Responding to queries on programme/project progress, impacts and lessons;
- Developing and carrying out a personal learning plan (5%).
UN CORE VALUES AND COMPETENCIES
Professionalism: Shows pride in work and achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication:Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Required Skills and Experience
|Min. Academic Education||Master’s degree or higher in international relations, social sciences with a specialization in environment and development, or other closely related field of relevance to sustainable development, climate resilient development, etc.|
|Min. years of relevant Work experience||Minimum of 7 years’ experience working with developing countries on sustainable development and climate resilience;|
|Required skills and competencies||Experience with programme/project development, implementation, oversight, and/or management, especially with vertical funds (GEF, GCF)Experience in the consultative processes in identifying/programming integrated and cross-sectoral programmes/projects (especially across adaptation);Knowledge of sustainable fashion and fashion industry in context of SDGs and related challenges;|
|Desired additional skills and competencies||SkillsFamiliarity with development of UNDP projects/programmes is an advantage, including the high standards and technical rigor required for donors/partners, such as GEF and GCF;Established network of relevant contacts, particularly among UN agencies is an advantage;Experience working in developing countries highly desirable;Working experience in an international organization is an advantage as is knowledge of UNDP policies, procedures and practices.Proficiency in other UN languages is an asset.CompetenciesCorporateDemonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;Treats all people fairly without favouritism.Technical CompetenciesAbility to provide guidance on environment and climate change especially as it relates to livelihoods, food and agricultural systems, and climate change risk management;Knowledge of methodologies, tools, systems and apply practical experience in planning, monitoring, evaluating and reporting;Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge.Ability to plan, organize, motivate, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.Project/Programme ManagementAbility to guide the design and implementation of multi-sectoral and sectoral programmes and projects at different scales, and to work with multiple stakeholders across a wide range of disciplines;Ability to identify and organize programmes and projects to implement solutions and generate resources;Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results;Ability to productively share UNDP knowledge and activities (at UN and other venues).ProfessionalismCapable of working in a high- pressure environment with sharp and frequent deadlines, managing many tasks simultaneously, and self-motivated and proactive; Excellent analytical, advocacy, and organizational skills;Exercises the highest level of responsibility and be able to handle confidential and politically sensitive issues in a responsible and mature manner.TeamworkWorks well in a team;Projects a positive image and is ready to take on a wide range of tasks;Focuses on results for the client;Welcomes constructive feedback.CommunicationExcellent inter-personal and communication skills;Strong analytical, client communication, and advocacy skills.|
|Required Language(s) (at working level)||Excellent knowledge of the English language, with exceptional writing, presentation and communication skills.|