Location: Sparwood, BC, CA
Closing Date: July 26, 2021
Reporting to the Senior Lead, Environmental Operations the Regional Lead, Water Management is responsible for managing our regional Water Management Plans and Water Balances, while ensuring alignment with Operations, Regional Water Quality Modelling, and Teck Water Governance Framework. You will be leading our water management working groups on site from our centralized Environment team.
To be successful in this role, we require someone with strong technical (hydrology, hydrogeology,water quality, hydraulic structures), influencing, interpersonal, and communication skills. Someone who thrives in a team environment, who also shows the values of integrity, dedication, innovation, excellence, and respect. You are someone who has strong leadership and mentoring skills, who can gain compliance through outstanding relationship building.
You will have the opportunity to work with an exciting and vital team to our operations success. The work you do will ensure the ongoing sustainability of our mine. In this role you will also have the chance to look for opportunities for innovation to ensure continuous improvement of our water management program. You will get to drive projects and change, owning the process and its successes.
Join us in the breathtaking Elk Valley of British Columbia. Here you will find outdoor adventure at your fingertips. Whether it’s biking and skiing, or the laid-back atmosphere of fishing and hiking, there is something for everyone! Working a compressed workweek with alternating Fridays off, come experience what work life balance is all about!
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Provide leadership and technical guidance related to water management in response to environmental incidents for major development projects and mine planning
- Lead the Water Management Working Group for the business unit
- Work closely with the Regional water monitoring, water quality, water treatment teams
- Guide and support the water management planning processes for the operations
- Develop, and provide support for, regional mitigation plans such as nitrogen management, water management discharge plan, and flood and freshet plans
- Lead key initiatives such as assessments of water management facilities at all the operations
- Build and maintain positive relationships with government agencies, indigenous groups, and local communities of interest
- Ensure regional regulatory commitments, conditions, and regulations relating to Water Management and Water Management Facilities are met
- Provide senior level technical editing of permitting applications and regulatory submissions
- Advise on surface water, groundwater, hydrology, and pit dewatering programs
- Prepare technical reports and presentations to a variety of audiences
- Support the development of requests for proposal, work planning and other related tendering documents to advance key water-related projects
- Engineering or Science Degree in environment, hydrology, hydrogeology, or related field
- Relevant engineering or geoscience professional accreditation, or eligible for accreditation
- Minimum five years demonstrated ability working in an industrial environment, preferably in mining
- Flexibility to travel to multiple operations within the Elk Valley, with base office in Sparwood, BC
- Experience in project management and delivery
- Experience leading development and implementation of water management programs, and risk evaluation of water quality and quantity
- Technical knowledge of federal and provincial mining water practices and regulatory compliance
- Strong experience delivering small-, medium- and large-size multi-stakeholders’ projects
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.
Job Segment: Architecture, Manager, Geology, Hydraulics, Hydrogeology, Engineering, Management, Science