Reporting to the Director, Water, the Manager, Water Resources, supports all water-related activities that advance water stewardship through implementation of water policies and standards and through establishing and achieving water goals and targets across the company. The Manager, Water Resources, is responsible for engaging operations, project teams, and the legacy properties group to identify needs for and provide subject matter expertise, guidance and training materials. Additional key responsibilities of the Manager Water Resources are supporting the development and maintenance of water balances, water management plans, and water quality and other water models for operations and development projects, as well as supporting tailings governance activities.
This role is also responsible for leading the collection and reporting on water performance to meet external reporting commitments as well as internal water performance reporting to senior management.
In addition, the Manager, Water Resources, provides direct supervision of relevant members of the corporate team and mentoring and support to water personnel in regional and operational roles.
- Support the efficient implementation of Teck’s Water Policy, Water Governance framework, HSEC Management Standards, and goals and targets for Water.
- Lead the cross-organization Water Working Group.
- Support the water review process, lead the development of water guidance materials and train and assist operations in applying the Water Policy, Water Governance framework, and associated Water Guidance.
- Support operations with the implementation activities that help Teck meet its goals and targets for Water, track progress and report to Director Water and senior management.
- Provide timely technical input and expertise, guidance and direction to operations, development projects and legacy sites for water related work, assessments, reviews, and guidance.
- Support and review of the development and maintenance of water balances, water management plans, water quality models, and other water models for operations and projects.
- Collect and compile monthly and annual water data from operations and develop reports to meet reporting commitments such as monthly water performance reporting for senior management, the water components of the annual sustainability report, and other ESG reporting.
- Keep informed of development, innovation, and research work done in water across the company and disseminate leading water practices across the organization.
- Remain current on the linkage between water and climate change adaptation, challenges and mitigation strategies/practices that may impact/benefit Teck and participate in the planning of adaptation strategies
- Participate as Teck’s representative on industry associations and support interactions with government agencies on development of, or revisions to, water-related regulations.
- Support and develop a Water community of practice and promote participation across the company to share best practices.
- Manage the GoldSim software licensing system and support and train operations with the use of GoldSim for their water balance models.
- Participate in the Tailings Working Group and support tailings governance activities.
- Provide direction and development support of direct report(s) and mentoring and development support of water personnel in regional or operational roles.
- Minimum of a Bachelors in Civil or Water Resources Engineering plus related work experience in water management and mining.
- 15+ years of progressive experience.
- Able to be registered as a Professional Engineer in the Province of British Columbia.
- Technical understanding of hydrology, hydraulics, hydrogeology, environmental impact assessments, water balances, geochemistry, water quality, and water management planning.
- Demonstrated advisory and facilitation skills including an ability to work well with people at all levels, an ability to influence outcomes, and an ability to manage conflict.
- Effective planner and organizer with an attention to detail, experience with water data management and reporting.
- Motivated self-starter, able to work under minimal supervision, able to manage several projects simultaneously, and able to adapt to changing situations.
- Ability to accomplish organization goals and to identify and resolve problems.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Competency in Spanish is an asset.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources
Job Segment: Architecture, Chemistry, Hydrogeology, Hydrology, Geology, Engineering, Science