Result of Service
The scope of the consultancy is to support country activities of the project InTex: Innovative business practices and economic models in the textile value chain, as well as UNEP’s global work on textile value chain. The focus will be on UNEP’s eco-innovation approach, supporting its application by InTex implementing partners and beneficiaries in other regions in close collaboration with other UNEP projects, as well as UNEP’s value chain approach in the textile sector.
Under the supervision of the Eco-innovation Programme Officer, the consultant will have the following responsibilities:
● Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects, etc. Such programmes / projects will focus on the promotion of eco-innovation and the value chain approach in textiles
● Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
● Supports the organization of outreach activities; training workshops, seminars, presentations, etc. on assigned topics/activities.
● Facilitates online training courses on eco-innovation
● Prepares written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
● Contributes to monitoring and reporting of related projects.
● Performs other duties as required.
The duration of the assignment will be 15 months, starting 1 October 2021
Actual work time: 100%
Duties and Responsibilities
The UN Environment Programme (UNEP) is the United Nations system’s designated entity for addressing environmental issues at the global and regional level. Its mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action. UNEP’s Economy Division works with international governments and non-governmental organizations, national and local governments, business and industry to develop and implement policies, strategies and practices that are cleaner and safer, incorporate environmental costs, use natural resources efficiently, reduce pollution and risks for humans and the environment, and enable the implementation of conventions and international agreements.
The consultant will work with the Consumption and Production Unit, Resources and Markets Branch, Economy Division. This post is located in UNEP’s Paris duty station.
Academic Qualifications: – Master’s degree in one of the following areas: environmental management, public administration, business administration or a related technical field
Experience: ● A minimum of three years’ experience in sustainability/ environmental management is required
● Experience in sustainable consumption and production and eco-innovation is required
● Experience in rolling out online training courses is desirable
● Practical experience in dealing with private sector is an advantage
● Knowledge of UNEP’s value chain approach, or related methodologies, is an advantage
● Experience at international level and in the UN system is an advantage
● Good organization skills in organizing events and workshops with diverse participants are required
● Excellent writing skills in drafting key messages, and in conveying information in non-technical language targeting a private sector audience are desirable
Language: ● Fluency in English is required
● Knowledge of another UN Official Language, especially French, is an asset
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.