The WASH coordinator contributes to the development of Solidarités International strategy by proposing a sector-based strategy in the field of Water supply, Sanitation and HP.
He/she specifically guarantees the quality and suitability of proposed technical approaches and ensures the appropriateness of WASH activities and general SI objectives to the needs of the local populations; through also the WASH Technical Advisors
He/she coordinates the project cycle and more particularly the operational monitoring of WASH programs implemented in the intervention country; through also the WASH and Hygiene Promotion Technical Advisor
He/she contributes to the process of capitalization and the improvement of Solidarités International methods and techniques in the field of WASH.
The main challenges of the position are:
- Propose and develop a sector-based strategy in accordance with SI’s policies and priorities for the intervention country.
- Support the Technical Advisor ( WASH and Hygiene Promotion) in setting up a technical approach
- Support the HoM with fundraising and the negotiation of project proposals relating to his/her activity
- Take part in the development/writing/review of WASH project proposals together with the WASH PMs and the Reporting Officer
- Consolidate WASH activity reports and supervise the preparation annexes linked to WASH activities for reports and/or financial donors
- In conjunction with the Program Deputy Country Director , establish and maintain a communication network and good relations with local/government authorities, financial donors’ representatives, UN agencies and other international agencies
- Ensure that SI is represented at all meetings or forums concerning WASH activities
- Represent the organization when asked and/or delegated to do so
- Strategic orientation
- Coordination and programs monitoring
- Institutional knowledge building
- Reporting / communication / representation
- Team management
- Bac + 5 (master’s degree) degree in Water Sanitation and Hygiene related sector, Engineering, Environment and/or Geology, and/or professional technical humanitarian-oriented training (Bioforce WASH)
- Previous experience in coordination position.
- Three years’ experience in relevant Water, Sanitation and Hygiene project management and/or coordination in NGO / humanitarian fields.
- Previous experience in an unstable environment significant previous experiences in emergency contexts and protracted crises (conflict / post conflict country), is an asset.
- Experience in cash-based project is an asset.
- Experience in team management.
- Experience in delivering training and capacity building of staff.
- Significant experience in an English-speaking environment.
Technical skills and knowledge:
- Knowledge of project cycle management, project design and proposal writing.
- Technical knowledge on water supply (hydrogeology basics, boreholes drilling and O&M, wells construction, stream catchment and gravity flow network design and management) and Sanitation.
- Knowledge of community mobilization, water and sanitation social management, hygiene promotion methodologies and public health basics.
- Knowledge of SI rules and procedures is an advantage.
- Knowledge of disaster risk reduction approaches would be an advantage.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Capacity to work under pressure to tight deadlines.
- Good organization skills.
- Good writing/editing skills.
- Fluent in English (spoken and written).
- French would be highly appreciated (some donors reporting in French).
Other desirable qualities:
- Patience, persistence, pedagogic talent.
- Good relation skills with external actors
- Application process
Teknaf is a small town in Bangladesh counting more than 150,000 inhabitants and offering minimum services (local restaurants, local shops…) and nice beaches. No other INGOs are in Teknaf, except ACF, but it is close to Cox’s Bazar (2h/2h30 by car), where many INGOs and UN agencies are there. Cox’s Bazar is one of the touristic cities of Bangladesh and easily accessible from Dhaka (half day trip including internal flight).
Teknaf base offered minimal but good comfort (electricity, water, internet by a USB Key). The Guest House is close to the Office. Despite possibilities for time to time leisure periods in Dhaka, the restriction of movements due to security reasons and the absence of permanent international presence from other organizations make it a project-focused humanitarian assignment.
On an overall point of view, this assignment will allow the PM to fulfill core humanitarian objectives, providing most-needed services to non-conflicting local populations with the support of dedicated SI national staff at base and coordination levels. The programs run by SI during these last years in Teknaf have always been benefiting from a strong support by ECHO and BPRM. The completion of the activities in the timeframe defined with donors stands as a rewarding challenge that will be shared with local national colleagues, the coordination and the HQ.
Si will offer you
A salaried post: according to experience from 2640 euros gross per month, (2400 euros base salary + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly Per Diem of 350 USD.
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of one break every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7-day break during the 3rd and the 9th month (with 500 euros allocated by Solidarités). He or she will also be entitled to go back to his or her home country for a 14-day period after six months spent on the mission (Solidarités will cover travel costs)
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
Contact : Sebastiano SIRINGO, Recruitment & Follow Up Officer
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/