1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC:
“Health, Safety and Dignity of Sanitation Workers in India: Key Challenges and Areas of Action.”
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
The study will involve desk research and consultations with different types of sanitation workers in one of SAUW’s project towns in Rajasthan or Uttarakhand2 as well as with civil society organizations working with sanitation workers in the country. It will cover (i) assessment of the status of policy, legislation and regulation related to sanitation workers, hurdles/barriers to enforcement of such policies and need for reform, if any; (ii) study of good practices including technology-centered alternatives related to safety, working conditions and dignity of sanitation workers; (iii) socioeconomic profile, living and working conditions of sanitation workers in the selected city (based on secondary information, consultations, key informant interviews); and (iv) identification of gaps and areas of action to promote health, safety and dignity of sanitation workers that can be incorporated in ADB projects. The study will build upon previous work in the area (e.g., by WaterAid, WHO and ILO) and suggest a differentiated approach through which ADB can add value and operationalize recommendations. A report will be prepared, and the research findings presented in a webinar. The findings and recommendations will initially be put into practice in an ADB financed urban sector project in Rajasthan or Uttarakhand in India (footnote 2) and subsequently scaled up across projects with sanitation components in South Asia.
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
• Duration: 8 weeks (with a possibility of extension)
• Timing: January 2022
4. LOCATION: ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines (or virtually, based on COVID-19 policies/restrictions)
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:
Report and webinar presentation. The report is expected to lead to an improved understanding of the situation of sanitation workers in Indian cities, as well as identification of gaps and areas of action that may be put into action through SAUW’s project.
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD program in Sociology, Urban Planning, Law, or related field.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Knowledge of local language will be an advantage.
Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application:
1. Curriculum vitae (CV)
2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.
3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB.
(2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).