Call for Consultancy Services
WRI intends to award a fixed price type contract to a locally based consultant/partner for developing an urban water resilience action plan with the city of Dire Dawa in close partnership with WRIs Africa team. The research consultant/partner will be the liaison between the city/regional stakeholders and WRIs cities/water program. S/he should have a good understanding of the urban water resilience needs of the city, the structure plan of the city as well as the local political and policy contexts, to lead the development and implementation of the City Water Resilience Approach (CWRA) in close coordination with the WRIs Project Lead and partners. The Research consultant will work closely with the WRIs Project Lead and project partners to structure & conduct desk research as well as coordinate integration of spatial/data analysis with WRIs data team. In addition, to desk research the analysis will be informed by key informant and expert interviews with stakeholders managing the city’s water system and experts with knowledge of the city’s key water challenges. Upon completion of the analysis report (i.e. the City Characterization report) the research partner will work closely with WRI team on the design and implementation of a structured multi-stakeholder planning process using the CWRA framework and problem framing tools to ideate and identify water resilience action the city wants to prioritize. The research consultant/partner will be responsible for synthesizing the research and inputs from both the desk research and the stakeholder workshops to develop the urban water resilience action plan for the city of Dire Dawa City Administration. In addition, s/he will support the WRIs Project lead and TRC director in developing agreements & securing political commitments; support organize activities such as conferences and workshops; scoping technical assistance and researching best practices to share across the Africa water resilience network. S/he will develop relationships and work closely with the project focal person (director of planning), senior city and other relevant officials and stakeholders as well as regional experts to accomplish the scope identified below.
- Scope of Work**
The urban water resilience action plan for Dire Dawa City Administration will be developed using the CWRA methodology and incorporate other spatial analysis frameworks developed by WRIs data team, to allow city-regions to identify, quantify and assess local water risks. The approach will support taking a comprehensive systems perspective to urban water management to inform an integrated One Water approach that supports the health and wellbeing of the community and protects the natural water cycle. The City focal person, Dire Dawa Water Supply & Sewerage Authority and Urban Water Research Consultant/Partner will be trained in the CWRA approach in order to lead its application in Dire Dawa , with support of WRI and partners.
The core outputs of this work will include completing the following 4 deliverables:
- Prepare the city characterization report.
- Develop and implement a multi-stakeholder assessment and visioning workshop.
- Prepare a city water resilience profile and action plan.
- Develop and implement technical assistance plans for 2-priority actions.
3. Essential Requirements
- Clear technical and financial proposals.
- A valid VAT Registration Certificate and Tax Identification Number (TIN).
- The consultant can be individual or company
4. Required Qualifications and Experience
- Knowledge about urban and water resilience and have relationships with city officials, utilities, and board range of stakeholders to advance the development of the urban water resilience action plan with the city.
- Project management and ability to lead help manage and implement the project communication plan.
- Research Responsibilities: ability to conduct background research on the water context of the city including assessing key water & urban policy, programs, plans underway and in development; identifying and documenting climate and development shocks and stresses; and mapping key manmade and natural assets and governance processes to develop an analysis of existing urban water resilience challenges facing the city Experience working with city stakeholders on water related issues in a holistic way
- Experience leading multi-stakeholder planning processes to develop strategic action plans in cities.
- Strong knowledge of and or working relationships with relevant stakeholders.
- Capacity to perform the work within the state timeframe.
- The individual should be from Dire Dewa or around that area.
5. Tentative Timeline
All proposals must be sent by August 10th, 2021 in electronic format to the same contact listed above.
6. Mode of Payment
Upon submission and acceptance of deliverable 1 and 2 & invoice by WRI 40%
Upon submission and acceptance of deliverable3 and 4 & invoice by WRI 30%
Upon submission and acceptance of deliverable 6 and 7 & invoice by WRI 30%
How to Apply
Interested applicants can obtain a Terms of Reference in electronic format from [email protected]
Interested applicants can submit electronically a technical and financial proposal, CVs, to the following address: Gubignet Tekle, World Resources Institute, Addis Ababa, [email protected], [email protected]