The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
SCOPE: The Position mainly involves undertaking rapid Hygiene Promotion Officer (HPO) need assessments and implementing emergency WASH response. The HPO will be based in Karat Town, Konso Zone of SNNP Region and can be deployed to Ale special Woreda, Derashe Special Woreda, and other emerging emergency areas localities of the country program whenever need.
- Reports to Senior ERRO/ERRM.
- Integrating with other team members, the Sanitation and HP Officer undertakes detail Hygiene and Sanitation need assessments.
- Prepares detail physical & financial implementation plan for emerging emergency responses;
- Assist in preparing of IEC Materials to be used at community level.
- Ensure the accurate convey of hygiene and sanitation messages.
- Prioritize community level hygiene awareness campaigns and prevention of Cholera.
- Coordinate training for community representatives on Hygiene, sanitation, and Cholera control.
- Plan and ensure the accurate distribution of Non Food Items.
- Works closely with Zone, Woreda Water and Health Offices towards efficient and effective implementation of the response;
- Works in collaboration with IRC EH Officer, Technicians and Ensure accurate integration of the interventions.
- Produces activity progress reports as per the preset reporting schedule and submit to the supervisor.
- Prepare brief emergency related monthly updates to the supervisor.
- Establish and train water user association committees with support of the Woreda Water Office
- Facilitate/conduct orientation, workshops and training for Water user Association committees.
- Facilitate community participation during the emergency interventions.
- In coordination with woreda water office and EHOs, Ensure the WUA have developed by laws and follow up the functionality of by laws
- Facilitate meeting for program staff with partners like water user Association committee and communities when crucial.
- Conduct continuous monitoring and consult of water user Association committees on management of their own water system.
- In collaboration with other HPO and EH team ensure high level of community participation in the project and regularly monitor terms of money with local labor market standard.
- Identify, compile and maintain training materials for uses.
- Provide information on technical problems and feedbacks to the technical team on time.
- Mobilize community for participation in various projects like local construction materials, tranche excavation back filling pipeline, fencing of water schemes, and cleaning of water point etc based up on the community action plan.
- Facilitate training to Woreda Water and Health office staffs.
- Facilitate accurate hand over of water schemes to the water user Association committee and respective woreda water, finance, and Health offices.
- Report activity progress and situation on monthly bases to the SERRO/ERR manager of the respective woreda.
- Maintain strong working relationships with respective IRC staffs and partners like WUAs, HEWs, Community health workers, kebele leaders, schoolteachers by coordinating regular review meetings at kebele level at least once per month.
- Facilitate and Ensure that all the WUA has developed a law, has standard water fee collection and opened bank account for accurate facial management system of the collected water fee and link with government sectors for sustainability of the system.
- Perform another task assigned by his/her supervisor.
EDUCATION: BSC in Sanitary Science, Public Health, Environmental Health.
YEARS OF EXPERIENCE: Minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience, NGO setting preferred.
LANGUAGES: Communication in English, and Amharic,
SKILLS: Ability to use computer (basic operating systems) experience & skills in community mobilization.
IRC is an equal employment opportunity employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
Professional Standards: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity Anti-Retaliation and Combating Trafficking in Persons
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols, and other supportive benefits and allowances
Equal Opportunity Employer: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.