Within CO+I, the environmental permitting team is responsible for supporting the delivery of core datacenter infrastructure for Microsoft’s cloud business. The MS portfolio consists of complex, multi-disciplinary, large scale, multi-year datacenter construction and lease projects.
The Regional Environmental Permitting Lead will lead environmental due diligence, permitting, and compliance activities during site acquisition, design, and construction for datacenter development throughout North, South, and Central America. This role will report to the Global Environmental Permitting Manager and requires regular engagement with key Microsoft stakeholders, including legal, design, construction, and operations teams, regulatory agencies, and outside consultants and contractors.
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
The successful candidate will:
- Lead environmental permitting for datacenter development throughout North, South and Central America
- Lead environmental due diligence activities, including Phase I and Phase II Environmental Site Assessments, regulatory and permitting evaluations, and biological and cultural resource evaluations.
- Direct environmental consultants to develop permitting strategies, deliver environmental permits and site due diligence, and conduct remedial activities within development timelines
- Support environmental compliance planning and execution for construction activities, including site remediation.
- Communicate environmental requirements and provide environmental expertise to diverse internal stakeholders, including legal, land development, energy, design, construction, operations, and sustainability teams. .
- Support the.
- The Regional Environmental Permitting Lead will maintain and report project status regularly and contribute to development and continued improvement of an Environmental Excellence program for datacenter delivery and operations
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental, Civil, or Chemical Engineering or equivalent
- 10+ years experience delivering multi-media environmental permitting and compliance projects including Title V permits, Clean Water Act permits (404, NPDES, etc.), environmental site assessments, NEPA,, T&E Species, and Section 106 consultations.
- 10+ years’ experience conducting environmental due diligence for greenfield and brownfield sites, including Phase I and Phase II ESAs and associated remedial actions
- 5+ years experience permitting and compliance planning for site development and operation of energy production, critical infrastructure, or other large-scale projects,
- Experience managing multiple projects and coordinating with internal teams, environmental consultants, attorneys, contractors, and regulatory agencies
- Experience establishing and maintaining cross-functional and positive working relationships with internal and external teams.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, attention to detail and high standards for quality of deliverables.
- Professional Engineering certification or masters degree in engineering
- Spanish language skills
- Mission critical facility permitting and compliance experience.
- Community Engagement and Stakeholder management experience.
These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.