Intern (Youth for Water and Climate (YWC))
Terms of Reference - GWP Internship on Youth for Water and Climate Platform
Location: Global Water Partnership Office, located in Stockholm, Sweden
Period: September to December 2018
The Global Water Partnership (GWP) is a Network of more than 3,000 Partners, with 13 Regional Offices, whose mission is to support the sustainable development and management of water resources at all levels. It has been promoting Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) since 1996, and is also involved in Climate Change, Transboundary Cooperation, Integrated Urban Water Management and the Water – energy – food security – ecosystems themes and nexus approaches as well as cross cutting issues ie gender and youth.
GWP, in partnership with a number of senior and youth organizations, has supported youth engagement in the water and climate spheres since 2015. In 2017, the partners launched the Youth for Water and Climate (YWC) platform to bring youth the support they need to scale up their contributions to the sustainable development goals and climate agendas. YWC is a global platform with a digital component (currently in beta mode) that helps youth develop strong project proposals and connect with senior organizations and experts for support. GWP provides the technical secretariat for the platform, together with the International Secretariat for Water and AgroParisTech.
The intern will support the implementation of YWC platform, under the guidance of her supervisors. The following tasks are envisaged at the moment:
1. Support the implementation and review of the quality assurance (QA) framework
The QA component of the platform consists in a review of project proposals submitted by youth to ensure that they meet minimum quality criteria, exchanges with the youth to improve their proposals, and labelling of project proposals when they meet the criteria. The QA framework is described in YWC website. It is currently operating in beta mode, with an initial list of criteria adopted in march 2018 and reviews being carried out by the technical secretariat.
The intern will:
- Review and propose improvements to the template messages which are being used to exchange with youth project promoters
- Carry out the QA review of projects submitted to the platform : review the proposals based on the QA criteria, communicate with the youth project promoters on improvements to bring to their proposals, propose QA labelling of strong project proposals to the secretariat
- Assess the relevance and ease of implementation of the current QA criteria and process, propose adaptations and discuss them with partners
- In addition, depending on the progress with the tasks listed above : draft Terms of reference for external youth and senior reviewers for the QA process and propose training material for them on the QA process
2. Assist in the implementation of calls for proposals
It is envisaged to launch a global call for youth project proposals at the end of August 2018 and to allocate small grants to selected projects.
With regard to this call, the intern will:
- Assist in the review of project proposals
- Assist in the running of the jury for the selection of projects
- Help liaise with the selected projects for grant allocation and management of the grant
- Connect with the youth whose proposals have obtained medium to high scores during the review process to encourage and support them in signing up on YWC platform
As calls for proposals are an important avenue for supporting youth projects, it is proposed, depending on time availability, that the intern might as well :
- Document the process for running calls for proposals, based on past experience within GWP and exchanges with a few partners : capitalize information on past calls and prepare a guidance document, describing the process and providing template forms.
3. Assist in outreach activities for YWC
The technical secretariat will engage in outreach activities over the coming months, to mobilize resources to run YWC and get financial and technical supporters for youth projects.
It is envisaged that the intern will:
- Review and propose inputs on funding proposals to mobilize resources for YWC
- Help identify potential supporters for YWC
- Participate in reflections regarding the financial strategy for YWC
- Support as needed outreach activities
4. Participate in the running of YWC platform
The intern will collaborate with the YWC technical secretariat in other activities related to the running of YWC platform: review and propose inputs to communications materials (website content, presentation documents, newsletter, etc), attend YWC consortium meetings and provide input as needed, etc.
5. Writing blog
During the internship period, the intern is required to at least write 1 short article on any water related topics of her interest that will be published on the blog section of the GWP main website.
Interested candidates for both internships should apply by 31 August 2018 - with starting date in mid-September. Please apply by email to email@example.com – indicating in the headline which one of the internships you are interested in. Please include a cover letter stating your interest and suitability, and attach your resume/CV.