We are looking for an individual with a strong interest and proven track record in delivering medium to large high-paced projects and working with multicultural/functional teams and multiple stakeholders. You are motivated by the opportunity to contribute to projects in the field of environmental sustainability and policy in a dynamic international context.
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Deadline: 1 August 2021
Length of contract: 2 years with possibility of extension
Join our international non-profit research organization and help create a sustainable and prosperous future for all! SEI HQ is a dynamic and expanding workplace that employs around 110 people from 28 different nationalities in an activity-based office in central Stockholm (Garnisonen), with an additional 200 employees in centres around the world.
SEI HQ is looking for an experienced, motivated and self-driven Project Manager to oversee the day-to-day development and management of projects. You will be part of the newly established Environmental Policy and Strategy team. You will contribute to building the team’s portfolio of work providing technical support to regional/national governments with cross-cutting transitional cross-sectoral policy work. You will initially join our Bosnia and Herzegovina Environmental Strategy and Action Plan 2030+ (BiH ESAP 2030+) project to support the Project Leader and wider team in the successful delivery of the project and eventually lead one or several upcoming projects.
Key duties and responsibilities
The Project Manager will be responsible for the project management cycle, coordinating the delivery of outputs in time and budget, preparing and taking ownership of the work plans, liaising with internal and external stakeholders and communicating up-to-date information on project finance delivery, timelines and risks. The Project Manager will lead a team of experts from SEI as well as external consultants.
- Financial management and reporting: tracking and coordinating financial information flows managing expenditure against planned budgets and working closely with SEI finance department.
- Stakeholder engagement: in coordination/collaboration with the team, develop and maintain partnerships and relationships for project implementation, facilitate external relations with relevant stakeholders and convene high-level project and stakeholder meetings as required.
- Business development: identification of new opportunities/donors, securing additional funding, leading the preparation of bids and proposals, developing budgets and tailoring technical documentation.
- Project communications: coordinating the development and functioning of internal and external communications systems, networks and website, managing activities and supporting teams to promote project output dissemination and uptake in close collaboration with colleagues on the communications team.
Who you are
You are a person with a strong interest and proven track record in delivering medium to large high-paced projects and working with multicultural/functional teams and multiple stakeholders. You are motivated by the opportunity to contribute to projects in the field of environmental sustainability and policy in a dynamic international context.
To succeed in this role, you need proven expertise in analysis, development and influencing policy-making on a national and/or international level. Having previous experience in leading scientific teams with the purpose to influence policymakers is an advantage.
As a person, you are proactive, self-driven and structured with a willingness to learn, listen and share. You are goal-oriented and able to effectively multitask and meet deadlines. You value maintaining good working relationships both internally as well as with project stakeholders.
Required qualifications and knowledge
- Relevant university degree
- 5-8 years of relevant working experience
- Excellent English skills
- Solid knowledge and understanding of European environmental, climate and/or energy policy and management issues and the current policy and regulatory settings within EU framework
- Proven experience managing fast-paced and complex projects throughout the complete project cycle
- Experience working in multidisciplinary diverse teams comprised of researchers, technical roles and practitioners
- Track record of using research to inform policy and practice, including demonstrated interest in and ability to convene and engage stakeholders and facilitate policy dialogues
- Experience in working with governments and government officials
- Experience in project financial and administrative management, designing and leading procurement processes, contracting and donor relationship management, including both financial and narrative reporting
- Experience in budgeting according to different models and templates
- Experience in designing and facilitating workshops, training and moderating seminars or conferences
- Excellent communications skills and ability to produce written outputs (reports, policy briefs and presentations)
- Outstanding leadership, diplomacy and interpersonal skills.
Desirable skills and experience
- Experience in supporting governments with environmental, climate and/or energy-related policy reforms (preferably working with EU environmental acquis in support of accession of new countries to EU)
- Previous experience working with projects in Bosnia and Herzegovina or wider Western Balkans
- Experience with just transition and decarbonization and/or circular economy
- Experience in leading the preparation of bids and proposals
- Ability to speak any Western Balkan language and/or Russian.
How to apply
We are reviewing applications on an ongoing basis, so please submit your application as soon as possible, but no later than 1 August 2021, 23:59 Stockholm local time.
Applications should be written in English and consist of a short CV and cover letter (maximum 1 page).
As we only accept applications through our recruitment system, please apply online using the button below and include:
- cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience
- curriculum vitae.
You do not need to be a Swedish or EU citizen nor have a work/residence permit in order to apply for a job at SEI HQ.
Inquiries concerning the content of the position can be directed to Bernardas Padegimas, Project Manager ([email protected]). Inquiries concerning the recruitment process can be directed to My Persson, Recruitment and Competence Specialist ([email protected]).
Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI) is an independent, international research institute founded in 1989. Its mission is to support decision-making and induce change towards sustainable development around the world by providing integrative knowledge that bridges science and policy in the field of environment and development. SEI was ranked as the world’s top think tank on environmental policy issues in the 2020 Global Go To Think Tanks Index compiled by the University of Pennsylvania’s Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program.
SEI has around 300 employees working at research centres in seven countries around the world. SEI’s headquarters are located in Stockholm, Sweden. Additional SEI research centres are located in Kenya (SEI Africa) Estonia (SEI Tallinn); United Kingdom (SEI York and SEI Oxford); the United States (SEI US); Thailand (SEI Asia); and Colombia (SEI Latin America).