Senior Advisor for Climate and the Environment
- Seeking technical expertise in climate, energy, or natural resources to expand our International Technical Practice
- Values-driven, global organisation specialising in the international development sector
- Permanent role with flexible work arrangements
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader with a proven track record in complex program implementation in the international development sector. We offer bold solutions and technical excellence in Health, Economic Growth, Governance, Research & Evaluation, Environment & Energy, Gender Equality & Social Inclusion. Working with our many partners, we have driven measurable social impact for more than 55 years, to achieve our mission of improving the quality of life and economic well-being of people worldwide. We operate in remote and challenging environments and employ more than 3,700 staff in over 50 countries.
Abt Britain is pursuing an ambitious growth strategy and has been awarded contracts exceeding GBP 32 million in the past 12 months alone, delivering projects across sub-Saharan Africa, Eastern Europe, South Asia, and South America. We aim to build a market leadership position in the UK, deepening relationships with the Foreign Commonwealth & Development Office as well as pursuing development and social impact projects for a diverse range of government, foundations, private and multilateral clients. We are expanding our International Technical Practice with investment in key technical roles across Governance, Health, Economic Growth and Climate, to provide deep technical expertise across projects and proposals for various donors globally.
The Senior Adviser for Climate and the Environment will establish, grow and lead Abt Britain’s presence in the climate and environment market, including building a portfolio of projects in climate adaptation and mitigation. This position will report to the Head of Technical Practices and Strategy and work closely with the Abt Britain Managing Director, with responsibilities for:
- Strategy: Developing and delivering a strategy for Abt Britain to be a leader in technical excellence for climate related projects in its UK/European overseas work, in coordination with counterparts in Abt US and Abt Australia.
- Growth: Providing technical inputs for tenders and EOIs to grow Abt Britain’s portfolio of climate related projects, in close collaboration with the UK business development lead.
- Technical delivery and quality: Providing technical inputs on sectoral programmes from a climate and environment perspective.
- Thought leadership: lead external thought leadership and client engagement on climate and environment issues.
This is a lead technical position preferably based in London, which requires an individual who can set strategy and direction, design and deliver programs, and provide thought leadership on one of the world’s most pressing challenges, including building climate resilience and addressing barriers to low carbon development to drive inclusive, economic growth.
The Senior Advisor will join the Abt International Technical Practice, a cutting-edge technical team which works across UK, Australian and US funded investments in Africa, Asia, and the Indo-Pacific. The team combines deep sectoral expertise in health, governance, GEDSI, economics and MERL in interdisciplinary ways to tackle complex development problems. Our approach is characterised by a focus on inclusion, power and politics, evidence, and sustainable locally led solutions.
We are seeking an individual for this strategic position who will bring:
- Recognised global or regional expertise in the areas of climate, energy or natural resources including policy analysis, program design, program implementation and evaluation and review.
- Experience in leading strategy and business development efforts on climate and environment, with proven experience in providing technical inputs for commercial tenders.
- Technical expertise in the design, management and review of projects or programmes in developing countries or in domestic context (e.g. UK, Australia) in at least three of the following areas: climate resilience; low carbon development; effective natural resource management; environmental management systems; climate and environmental governance; climate finance; renewables and energy efficiency into planning, policy, and finance to drive clean energy solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to think in interdisciplinary ways and work across ‘sectors’ (e.g. political change, exclusion) to solve complex problems relating to climate and the environment.
- Commitment to equity and demonstrated ability to achieve outcomes for women, girls, men, boys, people with a disability and underrepresented groups in climate and energy programs or policies.
- Ability and willingness for international travel with UK working rights.
Closing Date: Monday, 2 August 2021 – midnight (AEST)
Abt Associates values individuality and celebrates difference with a strong commitment to diversity, equality, gender and racial equity and disability inclusion. We encourage applications from diverse backgrounds and perspectives, skills, and knowledge, so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
Abt Associates is deeply committed to safeguarding, to protect and prevent harm and abuse to individuals we work for and who work for us. Our recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation. We will not tolerate discrimination, harassment, child abuse, sexual abuse, or exploitation in any form, and expect everyone to be treated with respect and dignity.
For more information about us and what we do, visit our website at www.abtassociates.com