The Anacostia Watershed Society (AWS) seeks a Green Infrastructure Specialist to inspire and inform diverse communities about the Anacostia Watershed, and develop and implement innovative green infrastructure strategies to restore the Anacostia River. This position will manage, administer, and be responsible for designing and implementing meaningful green infrastructure programs and projects within DC and Maryland that engage diverse communities and stakeholders in our restoration efforts. The ideal candidate will also demonstrate capability and interest in participating in other Anacostia Watershed Society programs such as school-based education, adult education, and recreation. The Green Infrastructure Specialist works directly with the Manager of Community-Based Restoration and the Director of River Restoration Programs to ensure collaboration and integration among all AWS initiatives.
1. Serve as lead staff in designing and implementing green infrastructure projects at high impact locations for engagement, education, and demonstration throughout the watershed. Participate in planning for the long-term sustainability of green infrastructure programs that achieve river restoration goals, reduce the impact of storm water, and improve the quality of life for communities, plants, and wildlife.
· Utilize necessary technology to prepare high quality concept designs, planting plans, and permit applications.
· Develop meaningful outreach and education events related to green infrastructure projects with diverse audiences. Ensure that all green infrastructure projects have community buy-in and lead to long-term maintenance of installed projects.
· Serve as technical expert and support on green infrastructure projects for the organization.
2. Assist with grant management tasks for green infrastructure programs.
· Support grant writing efforts by developing program narrative and budgets.
· Track project tasks, secure necessary permits, and communicate effectively with relevant AWS staff and other stakeholders.
· Comply with all contract and financial requirements, including timesheet, expense report, and progress/final reports.
· Build and maintain relationships with donors, partners, and other stakeholders.
3. Participate in organization-wide efforts, strategic planning, and other tasks as assigned.
· Support school-based and adult education programs as lead concept designer and green infrastructure expert.
· Lead canoe and pontoon trips and other recreation activities.
· Oversee, manage, and set strategies for volunteer/intern engagement.
· Develop innovative ways to educate, engage, and empower community members to be advocates for and stewards of the Anacostia River.
Key Qualifications and Requirements:
· Bachelor’s degree preferred, or equivalent years of relevant experience in landscape architecture, landscape design, construction, project management, horticulture, stormwater management, environmental sciences or related field.
· 1-3 years of experience with green infrastructure design and/or installation.
· Demonstrated experience in MS Office, AutoCAD, and Adobe Creative Suite.
· Demonstrated expertise in choosing appropriate local native plants (herbaceous, shrubs, trees) for green infrastructure installations and natural habitats such as meadows, riparian corridors, and upland forests.
· Demonstrated ability and interest in working with diverse stakeholders and community members to design and deliver impactful community-based restoration programs, preferably in the urban environment.
· Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
· Effective delegation of tasks to staff or contractors, with the result that work is completed in a timely manner and advances the goals of the organization and the objectives of its programs.
· Ability to inspire and support others to do their best work, including listening to others, providing helpful feedback, understanding their needs and priorities, and being proactive in communicating the information upon which they depend.
· Willing, motivated, and able to work frequent evenings and weekends, work in the field, and travel to sites and partner/funding meetings. Some physical work required (i.e. ability to lift 30 pounds).
We are offering a competitive compensation package that includes a competitive base salary and benefits package. Salary range is between $50K to $60K depending on level of experience.
AWS encourages and embraces diversity.
Location: 4302 Baltimore Avenue, Bladensburg, MD 20710-1031, United States
How to Apply
Interested applicants should email a résumé formally expressing your interest to [email protected].