The National Association of Clean Water Agencies (NACWA) seeks a Director, Legislative Affairs to play a prominent role in formulating and implementing the Association’s strategic legislative advocacy agenda. NACWA is a major non-profit environmental advocacy organization representing the views and perspectives of America’s publicly owned clean water utilities. The Association’s members are dedicated public servants and true environmental stewards.
This position is a key member of the Government Affairs team and will advance the Association’s Government Affairs and advocacy initiatives by developing, coordinating, and implementing strategies to achieve NACWA’s legislative goals and objectives to advance federal clean water policy and funding.
- Establish and maintain ongoing relationships and represent the Association’s interests with Members of Congress and their staff, including key jurisdiction committees.
- Work cooperatively with other members of NACWA’s legislative staff, the Government Affairs team, and the entire NACWA staff to help effectively advance the Association’s overall advocacy objectives.
- Monitor legislative proposals and review and analyze, including coordination of NACWA member agency review and comment on legislative proposals.
- Draft Congressional testimony and works collaboratively with witnesses from NACWA member agencies to prepare them for testifying.
- Regularly inform the membership of legislative developments through Updates, Alerts, articles for publications, and other written communications.
- Engage directly with NACWA members, including as staff liaison to assigned NACWA Committees and Workgroups.
- Establish and maintain relationships with relevant government agencies, interest groups, and other organizations to enhance the presence and visibility of NACWA and advance the interests of its members.
- Provide oversight and supervision of contractors who provide services and support to NACWA.
- Participate in the planning and staffing of NACWA meetings and conferences, including in-person, virtual, and hybrid events, especially Water Week and the National Water Policy Fly-In.
- Represents NACWA at conferences and events organized by other organizations, as assigned.
This position requires a bachelor’s degree, excellent written and oral communications skills, and strong interpersonal skills. Previous legislative staff experience and/or legislative advocacy experience strongly preferred. Extensive contact with NACWA members, Congressional staff and Members of Congress, staff with other water sector associations and related groups, and the general public is also a requirement for this position.
This position is DC-based and requires in-office presence at least 3 days per week. Occasional domestic travel required.
Salary commensurate with experience. NACWA offers an excellent benefits package. NACWA is easily accessible by Metro and public transportation and is located near the Dupont Circle area. For more about NACWA, visit the Association’s website – www.nacwa.org.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample electronically to [email protected] NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Application deadline is rolling with preference given to applications received before July 31, 2021.
NACWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not and will not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, gender, age, handicap, religion, national origin, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.