Challenge: Designing and marketing of irrigation engineering solutions
Background and focus
Pumptech Limited is a Ghanaian-owned company that specializes in water system installation, solar photovoltaic (PV) installation, building construction and heavy-duty vehicle leasing. With offices in Accra, Wa, Tamale and Bolgatanga office. Pumptech is a distributor for BERNT LORENTZ GmbH (Lorentz) and Grundfos pumps in Ghana. Since its incorporation in 2007, Pumptech has completed over 1,000 water projects for individual buyers, and government and nongovernmental actors. Many of these projects have targeted small-scale irrigation and smallholder farmers. Aiming to broaden its scope of operation to become a one-stop shop for all irrigation needs, Pumptech has identified the need to fill the technical gap for irrigation engineering within its team. Therefore, Pumptech is looking for an intern with irrigation engineering expertise who can provide advice to clients on the best solutions for their specific needs.
The internship will focus on planning, designing and marketing solar pumps for irrigation systems.
The intern will work with Pumptech (Bolgatanga office) and in collaboration with the International Water Management Institute (IWMI), as part of the Innovation Lab for Small-Scale Irrigation (ILSSI) project funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). Under the supervision of a Pumptech employee, the intern will carry out duties as indicated in the terms of reference below. The intern will have the opportunity to gain practical experience in planning, designing and marketing irrigation solutions for farmers, especially for smallholders who are new to the technology and have unique needs. The intern will also gain access to professional networks and mentorship. Based on IWMI policies, a stipend will be paid and field costs will be covered to enable the intern to carry out the expected tasks.
1. Assist in planning, designing and supervising Solar-powered Irrigation Systems (SPIS)
- Assist Pumptech staff during visits to prospective customers in a geographic territory to promote SPIS products and services.
- Assist with the introduction of new products and technologies, and generation of orders to meet or exceed annual sales quotas.
- Work with the Pumptech team to design appropriate SPIS for clients
2. Contribute to marketing and sales of irrigation equipment
- Work with the Pumptech team to build a marketing strategy for SPIS.
- Assist in tracking and documenting sales leads, customer service issues and general account status.
- Assist the Pumptech team to monitor changing market conditions, product innovations, and competitors’ products, prices and sales.
3.Monitoring and evaluation pre – and post-installation
- Assist customers with questions about Pumptech products and applications.
- Help in the collation and documentation of customer experiences for improving the service provided.
- MSc in Engineering or a similar background.
- Knowledge of or experience in solar technology, agriculture, agricultural value chains and/or agribusiness is preferred but not required.
- Practical experience in planning and designing SPIS is preferred but not required.
Your application should include the following:
- A cover letter describing why you are interested in applying for this internship and what you can offer.
- Updated curriculum vitae including previous work experience.
- Contact information of two professional referees.
The duration of the internship is 1 year. This is a nationally recruited internship and only citizens of Ghana are eligible to apply.
Applications must be submitted by 17:00 hours (GMT) on July 30, 2021 (Friday).
IWMI believes that diversity powers our innovation, contributes to our excellence, and is critical for our mission. We offer a multi-cultural, multi-color, multi-generational and multi-disciplinary working environment. We are consciously creating an inclusive organization that reflects our global character and our commitment to gender equity. We, therefore, encourage applicants from all cultures, races, ethnicities, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, and gender identities.