Dewberry Engineers Inc. is seeking a Water Resources Engineer for the Fairfax Water Resources Group within the Transportation Department. The position offers great potential for professional growth in a fantastic working environment and an opportunity to provide innovative and creative design solutions to water resource projects. Typical projects involve assisting federal, state and local clients in completing stormwater management, floodplain management, hydraulic modeling, drainage design, and other watershed planning for Design-Build and Bid-Build projects.
Dewberry is a leading, market-facing professional services firm with more than 50 locations and 2,000 professionals nationwide. What sets us apart from our competitors are our people. At Dewberry, we seek out exceptional talent and strive to deliver the highest quality of services to our clients. Whether you’re an experienced professional or a new graduate, you’ll have the chance to collaborate with the best and brightest and work on innovative and complex projects at the forefront of the industry. Our commitment to excellence stems from our personal integrity and from other defining attributes, which we call “Dewberry at Work,” that have inspired our employees to be successful for more than a half-century.
- Conduct watershed and storm water management planning and design;
- Perform water quality and quantity analysis to meet applicable state and local criteria;
- Provide technical assistance for hydrologic and hydraulic analyses, using a variety of techniques and models (e.g., HEC-HMS, HY-8, HEC-RAS);
- Floodplain mapping and assisting with written reports such as study narratives documenting floodplain studies;
- Assist in preparation of proposals, work scopes, and cost estimates;
- Serve as a mentor and assist the junior level staff/peers within the department;
- Perform roadway drainage design, culvert and bridge hydraulics, and floodplain analysis;
- Project management and staff development.
Required Skills & Required Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering
- A minimum of 3 years of water resources engineering, 5 years preferred
- Strong working knowledge of Virginia Department of Transportation drainage design and hydrology and hydraulic analysis
- Knowledge/experience with the following models/software: HEC-RAS, Microstation, ArcGIS
- Experience in watershed and storm water management, hydrologic and hydraulic analysis, drainage, erosion and sediment control, and watershed/waterway modeling
- Active EIT in VA, P.E. preferred, or ability to obtain P.E. rapidly through reciprocity
*At this time, Dewberry will not sponsor a new applicant for work authorization.
*Dewberry is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
*All recipients of an offer of employment from Dewberry, will be required to submit to a background screening which may include, but is not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, driving record check, criminal background check, and an investigative consumer report. These screenings will be conducted by Dewberry’s background vendor of choice and will be conducted in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local law.