World Wildlife Fund (WWF), the world’s leading conservation organization, seeks a Senior Program Officer (SPO) for its WWF Green Climate Fund (GCF) Accredited Entity (AE) team at our Washington, DC office. The successful candidate will be part of a dynamic and global team responsible for implementing multimillion dollar portfolios of projects assisting developing countries in addressing global climate change adaptation and mitigation issues. The SPO supports in the engagement of partners globally and in the development of policies and strategies for WWF’s GCF AE operations.
The SPO’s primary responsibility will be overseeing/leading project and program development and implementation. As a member of the WWF GCF AE team:
- provide support and guidance to WWF Network teams developing GCF concept notes and project proposals, to ensure quality and compliance with WWF and GCF policy requirements.
- play an oversight, project compliance and reporting role for WWF GCF projects in implementation, and
- contribute to WWF GCF AE strategy and operational efficiency.
The position does not directly develop or manage projects, but rather assists those bringing projects to WWFs GCF AE (for submission to GCF) in defining and preparing those projects to meet GCF and WWF requirements, and as the WWF GCF AE that submitted the project, manages all implementation and reporting requirements post approval.
- Project Development: Oversee and guide planning, process, and development of WWF GCF AE projects and programs through GCF project cycle in coordination with WWF offices, governments, GCF Secretariat, and other key partners; provide strategic GCF and technical climate change adaptation and/or mitigation guidance for successful project design; coordinate and ensure compliance of WWF and GCF standards/requirements throughout project development and through submission to the GCF Board for approval;
- Implementation: Oversee/lead implementation of WWF GCF projects and programs in coordination with WWF offices, governments, and other key partners; support project teams in adaptive management, troubleshooting, reporting, and other implementation management duties; coordinate and ensure compliance of WWF and GCF standards and reporting throughout project implementation;
- Representation: Represents WWF GCF AE at internal and external meetings including project and program steering committee meetings/missions, as well as trainings, workshops, and key international events;
- Coaching: Supports, through the provision of trainings (live and through webinars), WWF Network, government, and other key partners understanding of GCF institutions, policies, procedures and tools for the development of transformative ideas into WWF GCF projects and programs in line with GCF strategic priorities and policy requirements;
- WWF GCF Accredited Entity Support: Supports the overall effectiveness and operation of the WWF GCF Accredited Entity by participating in the establishing, improving, and implementing of new WWF AE policies and procedures, and GCF programming strategies, as necessary; builds relationships with GCF Secretariat and other key internal and external GCF programming stakeholders; active participant in GCF Secretariat task forces and other ad hoc committees;
- Participates in the strategic development of multi-stakeholder funding partnerships involving WWF GCF AE and Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs) and other global entities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required.
- A graduate degree in a related field is preferred, such as natural resources management, environmental science, international development, or conservation policy.
- Position requires a minimum of six years of experience in program management, climate change adaptation/mitigation programming, or natural resources management as well as an understanding of international climate change issues. (A graduate degree will substitute for 2 years of experience).
- Demonstrated knowledge of fundraising, budgeting, and monitoring donor compliance
- Excellent research and writing skills needed
- Strong analytical skills required
- Excellent project management, coordination, and organizational skills
- Ability to operate with independence, under pressure, to meet deadlines and commitments across time zones
- Ability to work on initiatives with multiple and competing priorities
- Interpersonal skills requiring patience, courtesy, tact and diplomacy necessary to effectively communicate within a multicultural team, WWF network colleagues, and with senior government partners from around the world.
- Demonstrated knowledge of international relations and environmental policy, especially multilateral public finance institutions, including the Global Environment Facility and Green Climate Fund preferred;
- Must be willing to occasionally travel internationally for up to two weeks at a time (30%)
- Excellent English oral and writing communication skills; Proficiency in Spanish is desired
- Submit cover letter and resume through our Careers Page, Requisition #19015
- Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone