Global Communities is an international non-profit organization that works closely with communities worldwide to bring about sustainable changes that improve the lives and livelihoods of the vulnerable.
Global Communities’ Office of Humanitarian Assistance (OHA) has developed a strategy for the organization’s response to the Syria crisis, anchored in a field presence. Specifically, OHA is responding directly in Syria, intensifying Global Communities’ assistance to vulnerable Syrians. Global Communities, with its more than 60 year experience in over 80 countries, has the commitment to be a strong part of humanitarian response to Syria by building up the capacity of vulnerable groups and strengthening their resilience to improve their living conditions with a long-lasting, positive and community based change.
Global Communities will co-chair the Turkey Hub WASH Cluster – Cross Border and is looking for candidates for Coordinator position to support the Cluster in the best possible way.
- Lead appropriate coordination with all humanitarian partners through cluster coordination mechanisms, including maintaining and expanding contacts with key sector stakeholders, and convening regular meetings.
- Develop coordination and quality control of WASH working groups and sub-clusters. Ensure necessary coordination with other clusters/sectors, OCHA and the ICCG.
- Drive development of necessary documentation and structures for the functioning of the WASH Cluster, including but not limited to TORs, data collection methodologies, sectorial strategic plans, objectives and indicators.
- Integrate agreed priority cross-cutting issues in sectorial needs assessment, analysis, planning, monitoring and response (e.g. age, gender, environment, HIV/AIDS, and diversity).
- Together with the cluster lead, act as focal point for the WASH cluster with the donors and, when requested, provide information on the WASH cluster strategy, gaps and current resourcing. Advocate to donors for funding to meet the needs of the sector.
- Responsible for promoting and adopting standardized methods, tools and formats for common use in WASH needs assessments.
- Utilize community and participatory based approaches in needs assessments.
- Carry out/coordinate assessments/studies of targeting information gaps of vulnerable groups, and carry out training sessions, as required.
- Ensure appropriate information management and reporting, including through developing and maintaining a unified WASH database.
- Implement monitoring systems to review impact of WASH Cluster activities.
- Bachelor’s degree in public health, international relations, peace and conflict studies, or other related technical field. Graduate degree preferred.
- Minimum five years of experience with international humanitarian organizations. Experience in emergency response and conflict areas an advantage.
- Experience and knowledge of humanitarian coordination mechanisms
- Experience in project management/coordination and information management
- Good knowledge of WASH related technical guidelines and standards, including Sphere.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills including negotiation and conflict resolution
- Strong organizational and team working skills
- Good cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Highly approachable, trustworthy and confidential
- Excellent command of English, both written and spoken, working knowledge of Arabic and/or Turkish is an asset
- Very good drafting skills, computer (IT) skills
- Knowledge of NGO operations and the dynamics of the humanitarian sector
- Ability to work under pressure and with limited supervision.