Who is Water Mission?
Water Mission is a rapidly growing Christian engineering nonprofit working to end the global water crisis by building safe water, sanitation, and hygiene solutions in developing nations and disaster areas. Guided by love, excellence, and integrity, we are driven to share clean, safe water and God’s love with all. To date, we have served more than 7 million people in 57 countries. Working at Water Mission is as much a calling as it is a career, and we are searching for people with the courage, passion, and drive to help us change the world. Read more about What We Believe, our Statement of Faith, and our Christian Mission.
What is the opportunity?
The Program Design Specialist is responsible for expanding Water Mission’s approach to holistic community development, resulting in improved wellbeing in the areas where the organization is actively engaged. In addition to conceptual development, the position engages in capacity building and project management activities to ensure programs are implemented as designed. This full-time position reports to the Director of Program Development at Water Mission headquarters in Charleston, SC, USA.
A successful Program Design Specialist will:
- Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, donors, volunteers, and the general public.
- Work in a collaborative team environment to identify best practices in asset-based, church-centered program design and development within the context of rural water, sanitation, and hygiene programs.
- Assist in the design and development of relevant models and materials which can be effectively communicated to Water Mission’s Country Programs, Affiliate Programs and implementing partners.
- Build technical and managerial capacity and monitor incorporation of relevant approaches in Water Mission’s Country Programs, Affiliate Programs and with implementing partners, recommending corrective actions where required.
- Ensure pilot projects are executed according to an agreed upon scope of work, schedule, and budget.
- Cultivate strategic implementation and funding partnerships, maintaining good communication channels, and coordinating international travel as required.
- Identify and engage in opportunities for collaboration with relevant sector experts.
- Other duties as assigned.
What is required?
- Personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Alignment with Water Mission’s Statement of Faith and core values of Love, Excellence, and Integrity.
- Master’s degree in international community development, cross-cultural studies, or related field of study required.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience within the WASH sector.
- International field experience, especially in East Africa and Latin America, preferred.
- Working familiarity with integral mission required.
- Project management experience required.
- Written and verbal Spanish language proficiency preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in cross-cultural settings required.
- Advanced word processing and spreadsheet software skills required.
- Legal authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Extended, independent international travel to developing countries (eight to twelve weeks per year). year totaling one to three months) required.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 10 weeks out of the year, mostly in developing countries. Most international trips are 1-4 weeks in length and require this person to ride in long car rides on rough terrain, stand for extended periods of time in hot weather, and lift heavy things.