SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. The Water Management Consultancy part of the business operates at the interface between people and the water environment. Our key services cover all aspects of water management including: flood and coastal erosion risk management, integrated catchment management, regulation and assurance, strategic asset management, water resources and water quality planning, hydrogeology and hydrology, aquatic ecology, hydromorphology and river restoration, climate futures and resilience, coastal and marine environmental management, and economic appraisal.
We have vacancies for enthusiastic and ambitious individuals to lead and grow our world class flood risk management team. Our current vacancies are for Principal consultants, engineers and modelers in Epsom, Oxford and Glasgow, although consideration will be given to exceptional candidates in other locations. We are seeking technical experts with a high profile in the flood risk management industry capable of leading on the delivery of hydraulic and hydrological modelling projects, including 1D and 2D models for rivers, surface water and sewers. You will also be addressing the required funding arrangements for public sector projects, and working alongside our engineers, ecologists, environmental scientists and other technical experts in key service areas. You will have the chance to develop opportunities and lead on international projects through our increasing portfolio of overseas work, and with our staff in Canada, USA, India, Africa and Asia Pacific.
You should have good project management skills, commercial awareness and the confidence to lead technical work, as well as mentor junior team members in developing their skills. You must be client focused and able to build strong relationships with our clients with a high degree of collaborative working skills to ensure we get the best from our working relationships with client teams.
As a major engineering, environmental and design consultancy, Atkins offers opportunities for talented consultants to work on a wide variety of high profile projects. We have, for example, ongoing projects in flood risk management across East-West Rail, climate resilience in Sri Lanka, and extreme rainfall modelling at Hinkley C power station.
• A degree in Geography, Science or Civil Engineering, and ideally an MSc or further post graduate qualification in a relevant subject area or notable experience
• Chartered or Fellow status with CIWEM or ICE
• 10+ years’ experience of 1D-2D modelling using Infoworks ICM, TUFLOW or Flood Modeller. MIKE software experience, such as MIKE11 / MIKE flood and MIKE 21 desirable.
• Acknowledged professional profile in flood risk / hydrological assessment, working knowledge of UK hydrology and ideally international hydrological assessment
• GIS analytical skills in ArcGIS, MapInfo and QGIS or a strong awareness of it
• Significant experience in carrying out flood risk analyses for planning, development, and design
• Experience in developing and leading technical teams, supporting and mentoring staff
• A track record of project delivery and performance, meeting client expectations and maximising commercial performance
• Engineering design experience; experience in undertaking scour assessments and developing scour protection is desirable, but not essential
Your day to day activities will involve developing and agreeing the scope of services, managing and supervising junior resources, and actively progressing a suite of projects under your control. You will have an excellent grasp of project procedures including financial and change control, report writing, ability to present, and quality assurance through checking and reviewing.
You will be required to produce high quality client facing reports, and to undertake and lead hydraulic modelling and data analysis to support projects. On an on-going basis, you’ll be supporting project managers and directors in delivering a range of projects, including strategic infrastructure projects where we may also provide an internally facing consultancy service. Business development and work-winning will be a key part of your role. You will be required to lead bidding activities, and to promote the organisation’s capabilities through your own industry credentials.
• Highly motivated and proactive; focused on achieving and delivering technical excellence
• Enthusiasm for leading work-winning activities
• Skilled at collaborative working, have good interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively
• Flexible and prepared to take on new challenges
•Well organised; able lead multiple projects and non-project activities simultaneously
• Attention to detail and desire to work to high standards consistently
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual development review process. We actively support staff in achieving and maintaining membership of relevant institutions. You will also be part of our Technical Networks and we would expect you to actively contribute and lead on Technical Network initiatives.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package. We welcome the opportunity to discuss a flexible working pattern for this vacancy. For roles advertised under the category of flexible working we ask you to explore the flexible working options we are able to offer during the interview process.
At Atkins, we offer more than just a job. We offer an opportunity to make a difference and shape the world to benefit future generations and the natural environment.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.