Are you a creative Data Scientist and are you ready for the next step in your career? Would you like to work where big data is used to make the world more sustainable and liveable? We are looking for data scientists for our units Inland Water Systems, Marine and Coastal Systems, Subsurface and Groundwater Systems, Hydraulic Engineering, Geo-engineering and Deltares Software Centre.
Technological developments are fast and Deltares investigates the application possibilities for water and subsoil. Think of matters in the field of big data, advanced measuring and monitoring, computing, artificial intelligence and robotics. From Deltares, we constantly give impetus to the innovative strength of our organization, so that new technologies can be used to answer research questions faster and better.
What can you expect as a Data Scientist?
As a Data Scientist you will work with data from various sources. With new techniques you acquire more information from these sources than previously possible. Deltares has leading physical scale models and numerical simulation models that are used worldwide. As a Data Scientist you add the big data perspective to that. In this position, you apply your knowledge of data science to global issues and to projects that matter. Each unit has their own research question. See below examples of research questions.
For the unit Inland Water Systems:
- How would you like to contribute to solutions for heavy precipitation in urban areas?
- In what way can data analytics help to improve our flood forecasting?
- How can we use the vast volume of socio-economic data for water allocation studies?
For the unit Subsurface and Groundwater Systems:
- How can we use data science techniques to predict droughts?
- What techniques would improve the use of data from geophysical surveys to describe subsoil dynamics?
For the unit Hydraulic Engineering:
- How can we integrate model predictions and observations of a physical experiment in a direct feedback loop in order to improve both experiments and numerical models?
What do we expect from you as a Data Scientist?
- You have an academic level of working and thinking;
- You combine experience with data science with knowledge on or a strong affinity with geosciences;
- You have completed your M.Sc. education with a strong mathematical basis;
- You are used to working on project basis;
- You have demonstrable knowledge of modern programming languages and tools;
- You are creative and curious and you enjoy going off the beaten track;
- You are a good communicator and a bridge builder (you know how to connect people and knowledge with each other);
- You are eager to develop yourself and reflect upon your performance;
- You enjoy working with top scientists from our field.
Working at Deltares
Deltares is an independent knowledge institute in the field of water, subsurface and infrastructure. The organization has more than 800 employees and 36 nationalities. We have a campus in Delft and in Utrecht. Worldwide we work on smart solutions, innovations and applications for people, environment and society. To achieve our goals, we develop our own expertise, innovative software and services.
Deltares supports governments, industries, water boards, and municipalities in their ambitions to reduce water and energy consumption and developing and implementing sustainable energy technologies. Deltares places high demands on the quality of its knowledge and advice. Enabling Delta life is our core business.
We offer an informal, dynamic and challenging work environment. You have a lot of freedom in organizing your work. Your personal development is important to us. That is why we offer good training opportunities and excellent future prospects.
We have special facilities, such as a multitude of numerical models, the Delta Flume and our iD-Lab, an interactive data research laboratory. Our terms and conditions of employment are in line with the market, with a good pension scheme and 34 vacation days.
Has this vacancy aroused your interest and do your qualities match the job profile? Apply directly by uploading your CV and motivation letter. The motivation letter should specify the unit you are interested in. Only applications via our website will be considered.
For more information, please contact Melissa Ruts (HR Recruitment Officer; [email protected]; +31883358330).
Perhaps this job description does not suit you, but you know someone who fits perfectly in the outlined profile? Then please forward this vacancy to them.
Acquisition as a result of this vacancy is not appreciated.