Deadline: 31 August 2016
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa (only those with South African work permits need apply)
Duration: 1 year, renewable
The Strategic Water Partners Network (SWPN) is a dynamic and cutting edge partnership between the public sector (primarily the Department of Water and Sanitation – DWS), the private sector and civil society working collectively to close a 17% gap between water supply and demand that is anticipated to manifest by the year 2030 in South Africa. The partnership was established in 2011 and strives to contribute to efficient, equitable and sustainable water supply and access to water for all South Africans through the identification and application of innovative and cost effective solutions and programmes. These projects and programmes are developed and administered under 6 work streams or working groups namely Agriculture and Supply Chain Water (ASC), Effluent and Waste Water Management (EWWM), Water Use Efficiency and Leakage Reduction (WELR), Skills Development and Transformation (SDT), Sanitation (SANI) and Water Stewardship (WS) which are in line with the key strategic national imperatives. The NEPAD Business Foundation hosts the SWPN secretariat.
Function and Purpose
The SWPN Programme Manager should exhibit knowledge of and experience on water and sanitation development projects and initiatives in South Africa. The Programme Manager will coordinate all activities and initiatives of the SWPN and its associated working groups, assist in identifying and preparing projects, drive and manage relationships with various stakeholders at senior levels, provide project support and oversight and deliver on performance objectives and build linkages with stakeholders.
The Programme Manager would report administratively to the CEO of the NBF and would report functionally to the Management Committee of the SWPN and in turn, to the Steering Committee of the SWPN.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain or improve support for the programme by managing relationships with project partners and financiers, ensuring that reporting and communication is effective and goes beyond contractual requirements
- Timely and resource efficient project and programme development ensuring that working groups implement projects to close the water gap in South Africa
- Prepare, ensure implementation and review global partnership work plans for thematic working groups in line with financier requirements.
- Manage and provide guidance to the SWPN Programme Assistant, Project Managers and Secretariat staff
- Project management including scoping, procurement, management of project finances, consultants and other resources
- Budgeting, budgetary control and financial reporting according to contractual agreements and other rules and regulations applicable to project and donor funds
- Technical and financial reporting on projects and the full programme
- Seizing opportunities for securing financing from existing and new funding partners and effective follow up that includes proposal development of financing requests as may be required
- Create and seize opportunities to communicate and showcase the work of the SWPN through an approved communication plan
- Represent the SWPN at events as may be assigned by the Management Committee, Steering Committee or thematic working groups
- Within the NBF and SWPN structures, ensure that due governance, procurement and project management processes are followed, programme and project decision making principles or criteria are clear and consultation is effective
Essential skills and capabilities
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with Masters preferred: A specialisation in water or public private partnerships will be an added advantage
- At least seven years working experience relevant to the post. Specific experience and networks in any of the SWPN fields will be an added advantage
- A water management professional with expert knowledge of at least one of the focus areas of the SWPN; or a water management professional with cross disciplinary experience
- Excellent communication skills – both written and oral presentation
- Stakeholder engagement and process management expertise including the ability to manage multi stakeholder groups
- Project management expertise
- Proven record on programme delivery and relationship management
- Proven ability to develop, document, maintain and write project proposals and reports and manage project timeframes/budgets
- Ability to show initiative, self-manage and meet deadlines
- Ability to work within a team context
- Experience in dealing with governments, private sector, civil society and development agencies
Behavioural Qualities and Other Requirements
- Operate with integrity and ethics
- Performance, delivery and deadline orientated
- Team orientation – working in an integrated and diverse team environment
- Resilience – ability to produce results under pressure and working with uncertainty
- Flexible and adaptable – changing opinions / behaviour in the light of changing situations
- Methodical and systematic, with a strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Action-oriented, confident and show initiative
- Motivated and ability to work without clear guidelines
The NEPAD Business Foundation (NBF) is a non-profit company promoting sustainable economic development in Africa through the private sector. The NBF is a “Chamber of Business for Development”, connecting the public and private sectors and development agencies, and implementing innovative and sustainable projects in partnership with each other. In supporting African economic development and growth, NBF’s key focus areas mirror the NEPAD Planning and Coordination Agency’s (NEPAD Agency) development themes of agriculture and food security; climate change and natural resources management; economic and corporate governance; human development and capacity building; and regional integration and infrastructure.
Qualified applicants are to send a CV and a brief cover letter (no longer than one-page) to support their application along with salary expectations and availability to commence duties to [email protected] The closing date for submission of applications is Wednesday, 31 August 2016. Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Enquiries by telephone will not be accommodated.