Reference #: 64/07/2021/Junior Technical Advisor/SAI/Odisha
Project: Sustainable Aquaculture in India
Position: Junior Technical Advisor
Location: Odisha (Any City)
How to Apply: Please send your application in GIZ application form https://www.giz.de/en/worldwide/28418.html along with the following to [email protected] with the reference number in the subject line.
• a statement of suitability for this position
• expected salary and notice period
• a maximum of 2 pager note on any one of the topics given below:
-Aquaculture is practiced in different forms with different impact on the surrounding environment and economic performance. In your assessment, what are the key factors to establish a sustainable aquaculture production at individual and community?
-Smallholder farmers play an important role in agriculture as well as in aquaculture. Increasing production and potential profits requires investment, often too high for smallholders. How would you enable smallholder aquaculture farmers to access finance from formal financial institutions to improve their fish production and income?
A. About GIZ India
For details, click on: https://www.giz.de/en/worldwide/368.html
B. Project Background
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is working on behalf of the German Government in in more than 130 countries around the globe. Under the special initiative “ONE WORLD NO HUNGER the Global Program Sustainable Fisheries (GV Fish) and Aquaculture implements projects in seven countries in Africa and Asia. In Partnership with the GOI and the Department of Fisheries the GV-Fish aims in India to improve the technical and financial capacities of aquaculture producers. To support existing extension services the project will work with woman led self-help groups, farmer producer organizations and aquaculture service providers involved in pond based freshwater aquaculture. The project aims to increase fish production and support the development of a sustainable value chain for fish, helping to combat malnutrition and poverty. Strengthening the financial literacy and technical capacities of small holder producer shall improve access to financial services, required to further develop the sector. The project office is located in Guwahati, while project activities are implemented in the States of Assam and Odisha. The project will be implemented in coordination with government of Assam and Odisha, department of fisheries. All Project activities are guided by the globally agreed Sustainable
Development Goals (SDGs) and are in line with the fisheries strategies on national and state level.
The Advisor is the project’s focal point for all technical and economic matters related to inland aquaculture in Odisha. In close collaboration with the implementing partners of training measures, the advisor shall develop training materials or adapt existing handbooks. The expected outcome of the trainings is to improve economic and technical capacities of small to medium inland aquaculture producer, Farmer Producer Organizations and Woman Self Help Groups involved pond aquaculture, as well as aquaculture service providers. The advisor will support the training of trainers and monitor the implementation of trainings as well as the achieved behaviour change of the target group. In case of low adaptation rates of the training content improved methods and didactics shall be recommended.
D. Core Scope of Tasks
• Organize, manage, monitor and report about the implementation of training activities for Self Help Groups, Farmer Producer Organizations and Aquaculture Service providers.
• Report writing and writing articles about the project for publication.
• Frequent travel into districts.
• Review, revise and complement available training manuals.
• Share experiences about trainings manuals and training concepts with other projects of the GV Fish.
• Support the linkage between different target groups and markets.
• Support the development of PR instruments as for GIZ standards for the project (banner, flyer, power points, success stories, factsheets etc.)
E. Other duties/additional tasks
1. Support the Team leader with technical aquaculture expertise by:
• Support the development of presentations, policy briefs and publications.
• Organize trainings and workshops.
• Support progress reporting.
2. Support M&E officer to manage the projects monitoring system by:
• Regular communication and follow up with partners.
• Monitoring of consultancy processes.
• Support the development of formats to collect data, presentations and other PR material.
F. Required qualifications, Experience and Competencies
• University qualification in Aquaculture, Fisheries, Agricultural Economics or a similar field.
• Degree in training competences (didactics) would be preferred
2. Professional Experience
• 4 years of Professional experience in commercial aquaculture, with a focus on Indian carps.
• Experience in aquaculture related extension work.
• Experience in building working relationships with district and local level authorities and community groups.
• Experience in monitoring and evaluation.
• Proven experience in practical work with fish farmer (groups) and excellent knowledge of their challenges and opportunities.
• Experience with different production techniques (extensive, semi intensive, intensive).
• Experience in fish feeds.
• Experience in the economic evaluation of aquaculture techniques.
• Experience in risks related to commercial aquaculture.
• Experience with energy efficient fish processing technologies.
• Development Cooperation (DC) experience: Professional experience in DC projects.
3. Other knowledge, additional competencies
• Knowledge of Aquatic ecology, natural productivity of waterbodies, natural feed organisms, fertilization and supplementary feeding.
G. Location: Odisha (Any City)
H. Language: Excellent language skills in English and local languages spoken in Odisha.
I. Duration of the contract: Until 31st May 2024, with a possibility of extension
J. Last date of receiving application: 23rd July 2021
Application without GIZ application form will not be considered
• Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
• GIZ supports Work-Life Balance.
• GIZ promotes Gender Diversity – Applications from women professionals are encouraged.
Disclaimer: As per GIZ’s data confidentiality policy, candidate’s application is stored in our database for six months and is deleted thereafter.
|Job Email id:||hr-india(at)giz.de|