Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
Building upon a solid foundation of science, partnership and field demonstration, CI empowers societies so they can responsibly and sustainably care for nature for the well-being of humanity. CI’s scientific excellence is matched with our pragmatic and effective engagement with governments, private sector, and civil society wherever we work. From post-conflict situations to economies in the midst of rapid growth, we adapt our approaches to enable conservation with development where conservation matters most.
CI Timor-Leste program is in a state of growth and development, aiming to expand our work with government and communities in creating, developing, and supporting the protected area system. This position will lead the GEF project, and provide advice and support to other projects in developing M&E frameworks for ecological and biological monitoring and assessment, analysis of data, and establishment of regular reporting of results.
The main responsibilities are overseeing the implementation of the GEF project, creating and overseeing program monitoring systems for ecological and biological data, leading the analysis of the data, as well as reporting against that data to CI, government and communities, supporting the development of project reports, and capacity building of field staff. The job also includes back stopping the Program Field team in one or more areas of technical competency, analysing and synthesizing data critical for reviewing and advancing our programmatic results in Timor-Leste. The role creates new tools and systems to address various internal and external information reporting and dissemination needs. Mentoring a sub-set of technical staff in their project implementation and proposal writing is also included.
- Project management of the GEF contract, to ensure compliance of contractual obligations, and successful implementation of the project. This will require leading staff and developing their capacity, ensuring successful implementation of the project according to contractual requirements, monitoring program quality control through standardized systems and reporting.
- Support all projects and programs to develop M&E frameworks, compile and analyse data relevant for assessing effectiveness of the project, and any relevant scientific surveys. Report results to the donor and stakeholders as well as CI Timor-Leste, CI Asia Pacific and CI institutional leadership. Develop new technical reports, science papers, as well as media and other opportunities to increase CI’s profile and better showcase our results.
- Mentor program field staff to help them grow into Project Managers, coaching them on how to be successful in their roles and ensure overall project implementation and delivery.
- Develop new business/partnerships, proposal opportunities, and support programmatic growth along one or more policy or programmatic subject areas currently being pursued by CI-Timor-Leste of interest (REDD/PES, freshwater management, forest policy, CBD, etc.).
- This position is based in Dili with Frequent travel to field sites
- Master’s or PhD degree in natural resource management, protected areas, or conservation related subject.
- At least 5 years’ experience working with NGOs.
- Proven strong experience monitoring and evaluating programs.
- Proven strong experience designing M&E frameworks, managing and analysing data, and information systems.
- English fluency (written and spoken).
- Communications and strong ability to work as part of a team and motivate others who are not direct reports
- Experience working on a GEF project.
- Experience working in Timor-Leste or SE Asia.
- Tetun or Portuguese language skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with all levels of employees and partners in a team setting.
- Demonstrated level of working with minimal supervision.