CHARACTERISTICS OF THE JOB
- Job location: ICRA – Catalan Institute for Water Research, Girona, Spain
- Number of positions available: 1
- Expected start: October 2021.
- Temporal position. The position is for 9 months (approximately, possibility to extend)
- Gross Annual Salary package:15.000 to 19.999 – € (to be arranged according to the candidate’s skills)
JOB PURPOSE / PROJECT DESCRIPTION
Research Area at ICRA: Technologies and evaluation
Project: HYDROUSA “Demonstration of water loops with innovative regenerative business models for the Mediterranean region” is a H2020 project (EU 2018 H2020) with a duration of 4.5 years (2018-2022).
HYDROUSA will offer innovative nature-based solutions based for the management of water in islands and coastal areas of the Mediterranean, for wastewater treatment, nutrients recovery and supplying fresh water from unconventional water sources. ICRA in the HYDROUSA project will analyse selected organic micropollutants compounds along the water cycle and in the edible part of selected vegetables (irrigated with reclaimed water). Additionally, bacterial antibiotic resistance in the soil will be evaluated to determine potential effects of wastewater fertigation. ICRA will evaluate the performance of the solutions, identifying the most adequate reuse train, apply environmental risk assessment and evaluate food safety issues. Finally, ICRA will be also responsible of transferability to potential sites in the Mediterranean, in particular of Spain. (www.hydrousa.org)
- The tasks to be accomplished by the support research technician involve:
- Human health risk assessment based on the findings of the monitoring of crops irrigated by reclaimed water in Greek sites and comparison with the literature, in particular constructed wetlands.
- Environmental risk assessment of treated water effluents by HYDROUSA treatment solutions.
- Support in the sampling campaigns in the HYDRO sites (WP4, WP5, WP6).
- Support in the theoretical replicability activities (WP7).
- Participation to project meetings and collaboration with WP6 leaders and other WPs
- Writing scientific reports and scientific papers.
- As with all technicians, PhD students and postdoctoral fellows a small proportion of the time will be allocated to communal services such as joint laboratory maintenance etc.
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS
Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work.
International Environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious international research institution and become a member of a young and growing research group.
Continuous training in a high-quality environment.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS
- Curriculum Vitae including all scientific publications.
- Letter of interest for the position
- Contact details of reference persons (previous professional positions)
- DNI or NIE (valid and with work permit in Spain). If you do not have a NIE, please attach a statement that you commit to take the necessary steps to obtain a work and residence permit in Spain.
Aplications and Deadline/Deadline for applications:
Send the required documents to [email protected] indicating ref. “SRT_HYDROUSA” in the subject of the email.
The deadline to submit the required documentation is 23th July 2021
- Pre-selection: will be based on CV, experience, skills and motivation letter.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Offered Position: Job Offer will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
In ICRA we are committed to maintaining and developing a work environment in which the values and principles of our organization are respected and equal opportunities between women and men be promoted in each of the areas in which we operate, not tolerating discrimination based on criteria such age, sex, marital status, race, ethnicity, disabilities, political leanings or sexual orientation.
Recruitment will be carried out as provided for in Article 15 of Royal Legislative Decree 1/1995 of 24 March passing the text of the Workers’ Statute Act, in accordance with the provisions of Article 2 of Royal Decree 2720/98 of 18 December (B.O.E. 8 January 1999), Act nº 12/2001 of July 9 (B.O.E. 10 July) and concordant regulations.
The principle of equality between men and women is taken into account, in accordance with Article 14 of the Spanish Constitution, the EU Directive of 9 February 1976 and the provisions of the Agreement of the Council of Ministers of March 4, 2005, passing the Plan for gender equality in the General State Administration.
Universal accessibility for persons with disabilities is taken into account, in accordance with paragraph 2 of Article 1 of Act nº 51/2003 of 2 December on equal opportunities, and 5% of vacancies are reserved provided the candidates pass the selection processes and are able to accredit disability and compatibility in performing the tasks so that we will progressively reach 2% of the total workforce.
Basic information on Data Protection
Responsible: Fundació Institut Català de Recerca de l’Aigua (ICRA); Purpose: The selection of candidates for current and future jobs offered by our organization; Rights: You have the right to access, rectify and delete the data, as well as other rights indicated in the additional information; Additional information: You can consult the additional and detailed information on Data Protection on our website: http://www.icra.cat/politica-de-privacidad
- REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: Bachelor Degree or equivalentChemistry: Bachelor Degree or equivalentEnvironmental science: Bachelor Degree or equivalent
- REQUIRED LANGUAGESSPANISH: ExcellentENGLISH: Excellent
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
Must Have – Required
- Experience: Bachelor degree (preferably Master) in Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, Chemistry, Biotechnology or similar
- Experience: Proven knowledge and experience with constructed wetland, including hydroponics, decentralized treatments, source separation (e.g., greywater).
- Knowledge: The researcher must have proven knowledge on human health risk assessment
- Knowledge: The researcher must be proficient in oral and written English; knowledge of the Spanish and Catalan languages is also positively evaluated.
- Skills: Any of the following past research experiences will be judged favourably in the selection process:
- experience in laboratory and/or in measuring campaigns.
- experience with Xcalibur software, sensors (e.g., light, humidity, temperature), Microsoft Office.
- previous experience of organic micropollutants is positively evaluated (e.g., pharmaceutical compounds).
- experience in international platform presentations and in paper/reports elaboration.
- ability to work independently and as a member of a team; she/he must be creative, flexible, and eager to learn and to expand his /her scientific network.
- driving licence will be positively evaluated.