Specialist Hydrologist – Perth
- Be part of a dynamic, high performing team with excellent career development opportunities
- Provide technical input into studies and future mine development
- Permanent full-time role – great opportunity to join a team of industry leader experts within the water resources field
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for a Specialist Hydrologist to join our Water Resources and Evaluation (WRE) team within Rio Tinto Iron Ore (RTIO). Based in our Perth, Central Park office you will identify and characterise hydrologic (flooding) risks to current operations and future mine development and then effectively communicate the magnitude to site and multi-disciplinary study and project teams.
We are an open, connected international team of technical specialists using some of the most exciting data and tools on the planet. We are the world leader in automation and smart mining. We have technical development programmes that are industry-leading and recognise the unique nature of your role. These provide opportunities to grow your career through a dedicated technical path while being rewarded for your unique skills.
This role is a great opportunity for a highly motivated individual, with a passion for surface water management and contributing to a strong team environment. This individual will possess an enthusiasm for motivating and mentoring others in the delivery of highly technical work.
Reporting to the Superintendent Hydrologist, you will:
- Provide technical input into expansion studies for conceptual, order of magnitude, pre-feasibility, feasibility, life of mine, closure and 5-year mining studies
- Undertake the annual flood risk assessment and support the annual wet season management plan development for operational sites
- Provide, and effectively communicate, technical advice to operations on surface water issues
- Scope, undertake and review surface water investigations to establish hydrologic and hydraulic conditions and develop strategic and tactical surface water management plans
- Provide advice on surface water management issues to other business services (Approvals, Environment, Engineering and Asset Management, EPCM contractors)
- Provide technical input into establishing RTIO hydrological standards and guidelines
- Engage and manage consultants for surface water investigations (including the review of consultant’s reports and recommendations) as required
- Provide technical review of Advisor Hydrologist technical work e.g. model builds, study chapters, technical memos
- Support the Superintendent Hydrologist in developing and guiding the Hydrology team
What you’ll bring
To succeed in this role, you will have:
- Tertiary qualifications in Civil/ Environmental Engineering, Geography or Environmental Science
- Demonstrated experience in assessment of surface water flow and flood estimation in the Pilbara region of Western Australia
- Practical experience in surface water management, design of flood mitigation structures and the development of surface water management plans
- Experience in presenting hydrologic assessments and complex technical assessments to a range of stakeholders
- Practical experience of 1D-2D hydraulic modelling and GIS tools
- Strong project management skills and report writing skills
- A manual C class drivers’ licence
- Post graduate qualifications in engineering, hydrology or water resource management will be beneficial
Where you will be working
In the Pilbara region of Western Australia, Rio Tinto operates the world’s largest integrated portfolio of iron ore assets with industry-leading margins. Our premium product suite, including our flagship Pilbara blend, drives strong customer relationships and is supported by technical and commercial marketing expertise. The iron ore business continues to be the world’s largest autonomous truck operator and a proud leader in automated mining technologies
This position is based at our Central Park office in Perth, with travel to the Pilbara.
What we offer
Be recognised for your contribution, you’re thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A competitive salary reflective of your skills and experience with annual incentive program
- Comprehensive medical benefits including subsidised private health insurance for employees and immediate family
- Attractive share ownership plan and extensive salary sacrifice & salary packaging options
- Career development & education assistance to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical wellbeing support
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
- Exclusive employee discounts (banking, accommodation, cars, retail and more)
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress. Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world and explore the universe. Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
This role is for applicants residing in or willing to permanently relocate to Western Australia. Rio Tinto offers Fly in and fly out options from Perth, our regional FIFO hubs and the opportunity to live in our residential towns where applicable.
Applications close on 18th July 2021 (Rio Tinto reserves the right to remove advertised roles prior to this date).